Thursday, November 10, 2011

Sweet and Adorable? NOT!

Most of the things I tend to memorialize are good: cute sayings, fun outings and other happy memories.  But, and this may come as a shock, not everything that happens in our house is fun.  Some days things are just bad.  We had one of those days recently and I thought, just like Fox News, I owe it to my reader (hey Thomas!) to be Fair and Balanced.  Well, maybe not exactly like Fox News...

Here are some highlights from that day (in bullet form for quick reading):

*The girls were up at 6:15, about 90 minutes before their normal wake-up time (thanks time change)
*Jack found the breaker box and proceeded to trip all the switches in the house
* Anna went to timeout approximately 5 times (before nap) for offenses ranging from spitting at me, to hitting, to nonstop whining
*Jack and Anna discovered some eggs in the basement refrigerator.  They proceeded to break all those eggs in the cabinets and refrigerator
*I caught Anna playing with my jewelry box.  I thought I had headed off disaster, but later I noticed my favorite earrings were missing.  Thomas found one (in the basement), the other is still missing.  When I asked her where said earring was she replied, "someplace you'll never find it."  She is right, I still haven't found it (and, she has no idea where it is).
*Kara insisted on wearing underwear, but neglected to use the potty
*Anna raided the pantry and locked herself in the dining room with a bag of cheetos

Uncommonly bad attitudes and overall dissonance just radiated throughout the home for the entire day. There was double the amount of normal whining and crying (and our "normal" amount is far more than what most would probably consider reasonable). It was just difficult.  Some of these things, like the egg incident, could have been prevented with better supervision.  But, in my defense, sometimes you have to make to lunch, or clean soiled clothes, or you just want to sit and read a book with one kid and assume the other two aren't flipping breakers or smashing eggs.  I was seriously ready to call all of my professional contacts to beg for a job.  But, we made it through and the next day was better.  Significantly better in fact.

So, there you have it, the good, the bad, and the ugly.  I'll let you decide who's who.  Just kidding.  I do believe my kids are generally good, or at least I don't think they are bad.  They all have their moments, but who doesn't?  Usually, we get one kid who's having a rough time.  On this particular day, the rough day of one just happened to coincide with that of two and three.  Let's just hope it remains a rare occurrence.

No comments:

Post a Comment