Saturday, December 28, 2013

Christmas 2013

Christmas Eve was a pretty relaxing day at our house.  As per tradition, we made sugar cookies for Santa. However, this year I strayed from our usual recipe to try one that All Recipes promised was the "best ever". The dough had to be refrigerated and Kara and I made it on the 23rd (which is what I usually do with my recipe).  When we went to make the cookies, the dough was hard as a rock--completely unworkable. Thomas stuck it in front of a heater and with a little bit of heat, water, and flour we were finally able to get it rolled out.  Each kid had their own ball to work with and they seemed to have a good time.  Thomas made frosting for the cookies and told the kids that if they could manage to share the beaters without fighting, we would let them open one present.  I am guessing it took a tremendous amount of self-control, but they did it. Everyone opened a present and was very happy with what they got.  Thomas and I both opened pajamas and the kids all opened toys from each other.







We had the television playing Christmas movies for most of the day.  We had quite a DVR backlog. Usually, they are limited to about an hour a day, so this was a pretty special treat for them.  Anna kept looking out the window, waiting for it to get dark.  As the sun started to set, she would make comments to Kara about how, "it's happening..it's happening even more...it's really getting dark now...Santa must be on his way, look how dark it is."  Finally, it was bedtime and there was no protesting at our house.  In fact, Anna asked Thomas and I to please go to bed early too, so that Santa wouldn't skip our house.  Thomas read everyone the Night Before Christmas.  (We had done the Christmas Story earlier)

After they were in bed, Thomas and I turned on the great Christmas Light Fight and waited for them to fall asleep.  I checked on them after about an hour and the girls were asleep, but Jack was wide-awake. Thirty more minutes passed with the same result.  Thomas and I decided to just get started anyway.  There were lots of finishing touches to complete, but we were in bed before 11, which was nice (and by then, Jack was actually asleep).  We had stayed up late for about 3 nights previously, and it payed off.  



I was awake by 6 and just waiting.  I took a shower, read some of my book, played on my phone, etc. Shortly after 7, I thought I heard someone stirring, but it was close to 7:30 before everyone was awake (Kara was the last to wake up and trust me when I say that no one wants to be responsible for waking that kid before her body does it naturally).  Thomas and I had the cameras ready, but unfortunately, the video didn't work.  I wish it could have captured the magical moment when they saw the tree and all the presents.  I feel like we went a bit overboard.  Most of their requests were small (thankfully, they are still young enough that we are buying toys and not electronics), so there were a lot of gifts.  Next year, we are going to try and make do with (a lot) less stuff.  But, it was pretty fun to see their faces.  Kara had had a rough few days and wasn't expecting any Santa presents.  She even told me, that "it's okay if Santa doesn't bring anything, because there are still lots of other presents."  

The kids went straight for their stockings.  We tried to get a picture of them before they started, but Jack would not be deterred.  



We managed to unwrap in an orderly manner, taking breaks for breakfast and to put batteries in toys.  It was probably close to 11 before we finished unwrapping.  Then, there was plenty to keep them occupied. After each present, Anna would say, "thank you, thank you, I love it!"  Jack had a similar attitude.  Kara was more impressed with Anna's presents then her own, well, at least until Anna offered to trade with her, then her presents were just fine. 





As usual, Thomas got me some amazing stuff.  I got a Kitchen Aid and a bread maker.  And, in keeping with the kitchen theme, he organized all my paper printouts into an indexed cookbook.  That is a project I have been claiming I would tackle for years (literally, years.  There are printouts that predate the kids in there).  I was so impressed, and a bit sad that I didn't do anything special for him.  He also got me some earrings and my favorite watch in two new colors.  He was stuck with lame gifts like baseball cards and windchimes, and a North Face coat that he returned because it was too big.  Maybe I'll do better next year.  We took the kids shopping for each other and us and Jack got me some perfume and Thomas a K'Nex Coaster, for them to build together; Kara got me a scarf and slipper socks, and Anna got me Pajamas.  Kara got Thomas some Superman Pajamas and Anna got him some office desk gifts (a little fountain and a bowling game).

The kids played with their toys and were pretty peaceful.  There was the occasional jealous bought from Kara, but overall, I think it was pretty good.

New coat, hat and boots.

For memories:  Anna's favorite gifts was her Polly Pocket Wall Collection.
Jack's:  Remote control helicopter, Jeep, and Camaro and his Beam Box game, but "I pretty much really liked all my gifts."
Kara's: Her giant doll house (actually, she said her Polly Pocket bath toy.  Since I am pretty sure she did not get such an item, I am deciding her doll house is her favorite, although she also really likes her My Little Pony Castle).

This toy is awesome!  I got it as a Lightening Deal for $40, then Amazon dropped the price to $29 and refunded me the difference.  A HUGE bargain--we saw it in stores for $70. 


No comments:

Post a Comment