Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Little Things

I often write about the big and/or exciting things that happen in our house, but today, I want to focus on the minutiae.  This has been a pretty low key weekend for us, but I am going to touch on the highlights.

Thomas was off on Friday and I decided to surprise Jack and Anna by going to their school for lunch.  I got there as Anna's class was walking into the cafeteria and she was thrilled to see me.  She held my hand and proudly told me about how the lunch line worked and what we could chose from.  We sat down with Jack, who was equally excited.  Anna's class left first and when Jack's class left, he wanted me to come stand in line with him.  Like Anna, he wanted to hold my hand and he hugged and kissed me goodbye, twice in fact. Then, he waved as he walked backward down the hall.

From there I went to Kara's class.  Thomas had put her on the bus after I left for lunch and she was hoping that she would get to go to the cafeteria to buy her pizza, so that she could wave to me.  Usually, their teacher goes to buy their lunch and they eat in the classroom, but on rare occasion, they get to go with her. I knew she was really hoping to be able to wave at me and I didn't want to leave without seeing her.  So, I walked into her class and she gave me a huge smile and hug.  Then, she brought me over to her table (after getting permission from her teacher) and showed me her journal.  She was making a picture of "a snowman in the dark."  She just had to add the finishing touches (two rockets).  I stayed for a few minutes with her and left when her lunch came.  I am actually not sure on the rules for Pre-K and I didn't want to overstay my welcome.

Saturday, we took the kids out early to look for bikes.  Jack and Anna have both outgrown theirs and with the weather finally warming up, it seemed like a good time to purchase.  Kara has also outgrown her bike, but we told her she could use Anna's until she learned to ride without training wheels and then we'd get her a new one.  She had a wonderful attitude about this and I was very proud of how she handled the situation. Unfortunately, despite stops at Walmart, K-Mart, and Target, we didn't find any bikes in the right size. There still isn't a very large selection (although bathing suits were out in force).  After a conciliatory lunch at Chick-Fil-A, we came home and then Thomas took the kids to the park for 2 glorious hours.  When they came home, they rushed to find me so that they could tell me all about it.  Jack had played basketball with Thomas, Kara and Thomas played tag, and Anna and Jack both told me about a new friend they made.  They proclaimed it a great day!

At one point today, everyone was playing nicely in their rooms when I walked upstairs to get something. The girls asked me to come in and play with them, which I did.  We played a new card game and then I put together something for them.  I was only in there for probably 30 minutes, but it was very pleasant to spend time with kids who were getting along.  When I came downstairs, Jack was asking Thomas to read a book to him. Thomas always stops what he's doing when one of the kids asks him to read, and today was no exception. So, he and Jack snuggled on the couch and Thomas read Horton Hears a Who.

We had pizza for lunch and now the kids are watching "Annie."  Normally, we don't watch tv during the day, except for Sunday mornings, when we typically let them crawl into bed with us.  Since we changed the clocks today, we didn't have time for cartoons, so we told them they could watch a movie later.

As I was reflecting on the past couple of days, I couldn't help but think about how much I love having kids this age.  I love that they want to spend time with us, that they are unabashed in their affection and that the highlight of their day is going to the park with their father.  I love that Kara calls herself my little shadow and proclaims me her best friend.  I love how Anna fights to snuggle with us on the couch, and that Jack gives so many spontaneous hugs and kisses.  Even when we aren't celebrating some big occasion or going somewhere special, our day to day life is so often full of love and peace and I want to focus more on this then the fighting and irritations that would inevitably occur in any house with 3 small kids. I know I don't express my gratitude often enough or focus on the positives as frequently as I should.  In simple terms: I love my husband, I love my children, I love my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment