Sunday, November 2, 2014

Williamsburg Weekend


This is not a very timely post, since our weekend in Williamsburg was a few weeks ago.  But, better late than never, right?  <Note: And even less timely, since I wrote this blog about 3 weeks ago.  It is just so time-consuming to add pictures and so I have procrastinated. But, now I have a Halloween and other blogs to write, so I am forced to finish this one.>

Anyone who knows Jack knows that he is VERY interested in history.  I am not exaggerating when I say the kid knows more about the Revolutionary War than I do (although, perhaps that's more about my ignorance, than his intelligence?).  Anyway, we want to foster his curiosity and being so close to so many historical areas makes that pretty easy.  Anna wanted to go to Busch Gardens for her birthday and we decided to make a long weekend of the trip and to squeeze in some history.  (We still need to do Jack's trip to Great Wolf Lodge.)

The kids had a 3-day weekend and we added an extra day, giving us 4 days in Williamsburg.  We drove up on Thursday morning and went straight to Yorktown.  We stopped for lunch at the Carrot Tree Inn, a favorite of Thomas and mine.  Then, it was on to the battlefield. Yorktown is to Thomas and Jack what Disney World is the rest of us (normal) people.  Although, I have to admit that even I find the whole history of the place amazing (it was not my first trip, but I learn something new every time).  It was so easy to picture the scene and the battle that took place. It was easy to imagine the troops in the redoubts and the fear that Alexander Hamilton must have felt when he led his men to attack.  The battlefield is extremely well-preserved and marked, making it wonderful to explore.  So, we all enjoyed Yorktown, well almost of all us.  I think that Jack's interest is extremely genuine, Anna's is a bit feigned (she knows we like it, so she wants to like it too) and Kara doesn't even bother to pretend to care.  I certainly appreciate the personalities of our children!  Luke was content to be outside and feel the wind in his hair.

Anna in front of the real Redoubt spot
And one of Jack in the same spot

On one of the original canons



After being in the car, it was nice to run around and explore


From there, we went and checked into our cottage.  We had a 2-bedroom cabin reserved and it was interesting.  It was in the woods and there were so many spiders and bugs, both inside and out.  I don't think the place has seen a good cleaning in the past decade.  The price was right, but I am not sure if I could bring myself to stay again.  Also, the bed was the nosiest I have ever laid on.  Every time I turned, I woke myself up.  But, for whatever reason, the kids loved it. The second bedroom had bunkbeds and a full-sized bed and they rotated to each bed for the 3 nights and loved every minute we spent there. The cabin was called Tall Pines and they still wax nostalgic about how much they "miss Tall Pines" our Williamsburg home.

Tall Pines.  Spiders included.


Thursday, we also visited the Yankee Candle Flagship store, which is always a good time.

Friday was Busch Gardens day.  We got there at opening and went to the kids land area.  Jack and Anna loved the kids roller coaster, but Kara was reluctant to ride.  Finally, she decided she wanted to go. When we got off, she said she did not like it all.  However, she chose to ride again and again.  It was very strange, I think she was interested in conquering her fear, because it was evident that she did not enjoy it, but she still wanted to ride.  We had a great time riding all the rides.  They had Halloween themed shows, none of which seemed appropriate for the kids, so we just focused on the rides.  There were no real lines and it was super-fun to just walk on whatever we wanted.  And now, the photo dump...

They were all decorated for Halloween

I loved riding the bumper cars with the kids

One of the kiddie rides, Thomas later went on the grown-up version.  Not me!


The kids loved this roller coaster, they must've rode it 10x

In the dino playland 

Scrambling it up



And, what was little Luke doing while we were enjoying all those rides???
Sometimes, he was not happy

But, sometimes he was!

Sometimes Daddy wore him (and took him on the carousel!)

Sometimes, he got to walk with mommy


Every now and then, it just got to be too much excitement

Saturday was Colonial Williamsburg.  We have been before, but never actually bought tickets.  This time, we bought the tickets so that we could visit all the areas.  Unfortunately, a couple that we really wanted to see, like the Brickmakers, were not open.  I think everyone enjoyed the jail the most.  Again, it was fun to imagine the history of the place and the events that took place.  Because trials were not a priority (you know, thanks to the war and all) the jail was very overcrowded.  It was crazy to see how it was both a family home and a jail.  I cannot imagine raising my family in a place like that!  We also enjoyed the armory and seeing some of the reenactments on the lawn.  We had a great time.

Oh no!  Someone has taken the weapons from the armory, whatever will the colonists do?!?!?


Visiting the jail. one of my favorite exhibits.  It was hard to believe that the warden and his family lived in the front of the house with the prisoners in the back.
Anna on a prison throne


Inside the armory (the weapons have been restored!)

Watching another demonstration...fire!

Jack and Thomas were so moved, they decided to enlist
Anna and Kara chose the stocks instead

Jack picked out his birthday present (and hasn't put it down much since)

Different outfit, same day for Lukey.
We left around dinner time and got take-out (Carrot Tree for Thomas and I and McDonalds for the kids) and went back to Tall Pines.

We were going to visit Jamestown on Sunday, but we were all a bit tired, so we decided to save it for next time.  Instead, we had a leisurely morning and headed home.

The end.



1 comment:

  1. Feigned interest just shows one cares more about you than whatever else it was. And the poor boy does nothing but ride! I want to be Luke in this world where I ride to go to rides! All look wonderful and happy and this poodle is grateful you shared.

    ReplyDelete