Sunday, March 1, 2015

Major Catch-up

I always thought I wrote this blog for myself.  But when I made it private and realized no one could read it anymore, I stopped writing.  I am not sure if I am going to make it public again or not. Regardless, I need to write.

The biggest news is that Thomas' mother died of lung cancer on February 11th. I believe that she was only 64 (incidentally, the same age my mother was when she died). We got the news after the kids were asleep and debated on whether to tell them on the 12th, which was Kara's birthday.  I kind of wanted to hold off so that we didn't ruin her special day. Thomas felt it was important to tell them right away.  Ultimately, I realized that my line of thinking was selfish. So, we told the kids. Although they hadn't met her, she always remembered their birthdays and Christmas and they had spoken to her on the phone many times.  They all cried when they heard the news.  We still had Kara's birthday meal (lasagna), cake and gave her her gifts.  Her party wasn't until the 14th, so it was a small family affair, which was appropriate under the circumstances.  

My own mother died shortly after Jack and Anna were born, so now they have no Grandmother, which I find incredibly sad. I lost my last Grandma when I was in law school and Thomas lost his last Grandma in 2013.  So, we both had our Grandmothers growing up.  It seems wrong that our kids won't have the same experience.  Hopefully, nothing happens to their Grandfathers for a very long time.

As I mentioned, Kara turned 6 on February 12th.  I baked her a giant cupcake as her special cake. She got sick on the night of her birthday, so she missed her class Valentine's Day Party, which was on Friday, the 13th.  She was very upset about missing her party.  I think I was proclaimed a terrible, awful mom, because despite throwing up all night, she insisted she was completely fine.  We were worried she was going to be too sick for her party, but she made it.  Once again, it was at the gymnastics center.  She knows a good thing when she sees it.  She is taking gymnastics classes there right now so she was happy to show off all she is learning.  She got a bike from us and lots of her friends gave her money (I suggested $5 to anyone who asked me what to get her so that she could combine her money and get one big gift from her friends).  She ended up with over $50, but she still hasn't spent it.  
Her blurry "birthday girl" photo.  Same shirt as Anna got, just a size smaller.

She wouldn't tell us what she wished for  :)

Kara was a little grumpy because she wanted to be the one to hold Luke. 

It has been a very cold, dreary winter, at least since January.  In fact, as I write this there is freezing rain outside and icicles hanging from the deck.  The schools have used up all the built-in snow days, so we are hoping that the snow and ice is over.

I am so tired of the snow.  I think even the kids have had enough.

In other big news, Thomas and I submitted our paperwork to resign from the Reserves.  The main reason for me is that I don't want to be deployed and no one who isn't willing to deploy should be a reservist.  For Thomas, it was a combination of not wanting to deploy (again) and being sick of losing weekends with the family.  It is a significant source of income for us, but we believe it is worth it.  I will miss the occasional use of my law degree and feeling like I bring a financial contribution to the family.  Oh, and being able to shop at the commissary and use the base pool. But, none of that is worth having the possibility of being sent away for 6-12 months hanging over my head.  

I think that is it for the big news.  Well, Thomas applied to transfer to Orlando, but we are still waiting to hear back, so that is just the possibility of news.  And, obviously, there have been lots of changes with Luke.  But, with his first birthday just 2 weeks away, I will save his news for then.  I will end with a couple of bonus pictures.
Jack and Anna had their well-visit in January and were pretending the exam room table was a boat.  Jack is looking for land while Anna paddles.

Luke likes to "sing" too.  Karaoke is still a hit for the whole family.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment