Monday, June 15, 2015

3 Paintings with Wine and Design (aka:To Hell and Back)

I heard about a place several months ago where you could go and paint a fool-proof picture in a couple of hours.  I was immediately intrigued and really excited about trying it out.  There were several fun Christmas designs that I was interested in, but the timing never worked out.  Finally, in late March, Thomas and I decided to attend one of their date nights.  For the date night, you paint complementary pictures that you can hang up side-by-side.  We went to the Front Porch for dinner and walked around a bit before it was time for our session to start.  We chose a dandelion design, which was our favorite of the date nights offered in March.  It was a very simple design and we had a good time.  It was relaxing to be there with Thomas and nice to do something a bit different together.  We both really liked it and hope to go back. The next morning, when we showed the kids, the girls were very excited. They wistfully remarked how they wish they were big enough to go to the painting place.  So, I signed us all up for one of the Mommy and Me sessions in May.





I never told them what we were doing.  When the day came, I simply told them I had a surprise for them and that we were going to do something special.  When we got to the studio, they were VERY excited.  Unfortunately, the excitement quickly waned, at least for Kara. She was very frustrated that her owl was not coming out like the instructor's owl.  She also didn't like them telling her what colors to use.  It was way too formulaic for her artistic tendencies. Kara is not one to keep her feelings to herself, so she protested, rather loudly at times. If it had been just her and me, I would have left. But, I had Anna with me (we'll get to her in a minute).  At one point, Kara loudly proclaimed that this was the worst surprise ever.  She hated it and wanted to know "why did you bring me here?" Every stroke of the brush brought a groan, sign or cry. It. Was. AWFUL! That seriously went on for about 40 minutes. It was in a very small place and there wasn't much I could do. I did manage to make her quiet down so it was really just me that got the brunt of her frustrations. The instructor even tried to talk to her a couple of times and Kara just (literally) turned her nose up at her. Finally, she heard me when I said to just paint the owl any darn way she wanted in whatever dang colors she liked.  I had told her from the start that the finished product didn't really matter, to just have fun and enjoy herself. Although she is sweet and loving, she is also obstinate and stubborn and it took a while before she would just accept that the painting was not going to look exactly how she wanted it to look.

Anna, on the other hand, was pleased to be there.  She tried her best to follow the instructions, but went with the flow if things didn't go exactly as planned.  However, she was her typical energetic self. She got paint everywhere.  On her clothes. On my clothes. On her body. On my body. In her hair. She went to the bathroom at least 3 times. With Kara on one side and Anna on the other, I was in my own private hell. But, at least Anna was cheerful and happy, for which I was very grateful.

Somehow, we managed to make it through the 2 hour session. When all was said and done, both girls said they loooovvved it and wanted to know when we could go back?!?!?!  I told Kara in about 10 years. They also wanted me to take them for ice cream. And, perceptive Anna piped up from the backseat, "Mommy, you aren't acting like you had a good time."  My little Sherlock. Ahhh, the joys of motherhood. The pictures now hang proudly in their bedroom and I chuckle frequently at the memory of my misery



You would never know the anguish these guys caused...

My final foray with Wine and Design (there has never been any wine involved with me, not much design really either) took place on Friday. One of my neighbors decided to host a party at her house. She is moving soon and wanted to have one last celebration with her friends. She chose a Solomon's bridge design, which was my most complicated yet (still relatively fool proof). She had 6 friends from the neighborhood there and 6 from outside the neighborhood. There was tons of fantastic food and I had a great time.  When they go to someone's house, the pace is much more relaxed. I think it ended up taking about 3 hours before we finished.  It was fun to be with a group where we basically all knew each other, lots of joking and commentary, as opposed to being in the studio with strangers. We took silly pictures, made fun of each other's work, complimented each other's skill, took lots of food and drink breaks, and just generally had a good time. It was a very nice way to spend an evening. I just wish we weren't getting together because one of us is leaving.

For each design, they start you with an outline.  

At the neighborhood table

It was going so well, until my bridge got wider and wider. 

Highlighting our friend Isabelle who is leaving us for more mountainous pastures.


When Thomas and I left active-duty, we were so excited about establishing roots.  We pictured the kids making friends and growing up with those friends. Now, it seems as if the people we like keep leaving. Three of our favorite neighborhood families have left with another going soon. It is awful! The perils of living in a military town, I suppose. I have decided not to befriend anyone who is on active-duty, a contractor or unable to commit to 5 or more years here.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment