Monday, May 23, 2016

Mid-May 2016

As you can probably surmise from the title, it has been a quiet few weeks around here. There have been a few stand-out moments. Jack and Anna had the official ceremony for their hundred book club. It was much more challenging this year than last. The hundred books contained specific requirements including 2 fairy tales, 2 books about another country, 5 books about famous people, 10 chapter books, etc. Also, unlike in first grade, the majority of books were nonfiction. This wasn't an issue for Jack, who loves to read about history, but it was a challenge for Anna, who likes to read, but prefers fiction (the kids seem to take after their same-gender parents). They had an awards ceremony and then let the kids have lunch outside with their parents, followed by a dessert buffet. It was a fun afternoon and I was proud of them for completing the challenge.

Anna standing with her much beloved Mrs. Lowe

Jack getting his medal (pictured teacher was a substitute, but his teacher is also wonderful)
Kara completed the first grade hundred book list, but we haven't heard anything about her ceremony yet.

We have made a few more trips to Six Flags. Anna has now braved one of the big coasters. It goes upside down and in corkscrews and is her biggest coaster to date. She loves it!  Kara still avoids any rides with "big hills," which we have assured her doesn't make her any less brave than her siblings. Jack has now ridden every large ride the park has to offer and loves them all--including Batman, which we reluctantly let him ride.  I still think Kings Dominion is a better park, but Six Flags definitely has its own advantages, like the Superman rollercoaster which is my and Thomas' favorite. Regardless, both places are really fun.

You can barely see the barefoot little Anna
In other news, I applied for another job. I am a glutton for punishment I suppose. I still vacillate on whether I want to go back to work, but I think I do.  It would allow Thomas' to retire a couple years earlier and would let us save more money for retirement.  Plus, I really don't know what I will do when Luke goes to school in a few years. Plus, I really don't like to clean and would have no excuse left to avoid it.

And, a couple of random pictures:

Random picture of our "whisper tube." Me and the kids had a lot of fun one night giving each other secret messages.

The only benefit to having to drive to Annapolis to fix a broken iPhone--lunch at PF Changs.

No comments:

Post a Comment