Wednesday, July 13, 2016

What to do, no School!

Six weeks from today, school starts. Not that I'm counting. Well, I am, but that doesn't mean I am wishing time away. Summer break has been great (yes, another weak "rhyme"). We scheduled our time this year with one week of an organized camp followed by two weeks of nothing on our calendar. A third of the way through, we have completed our first rotation. So far, I would say it is a success.

During our two weeks of unscheduled time, we went to the pool, library, Ann Marie Gardens, and local parks. We met Thomas for lunch one day at Nicoletti's and we enjoyed not having to be anywhere at any specific time. We also had one amazing day at the Six Flags water park--the forecast was for rain, but we decided to risk it. The rain, and the crowds, stayed away resulting in a perfect (non)storm for an amusement park visit. We found something to do every morning and I think everyone enjoyed the more relaxed pace. The kids were left to the own devices each afternoon and forced to make their own fun, which most days they did. One afternoon, they spent hours reading through my old blogs. They were sooooo amused at all the funny stories starring them. Kara and Anna especially loved reading about the time I let Anna work on potty training with Kara. I had kind of forgotten about it and I am sure the memory would have been gone forever if I had not written about it. I am so glad that when we moved to Maryland I was encouraged by some friends to start the blog (Debby, Sarah and Cecilia have probably long since forgotten that fateful conversation at one of our book clubs, but I remember!). It makes me want to write more about the everyday little stuff.

For example, yesterday Anna and Kara put on a fashion show. They took laps around our upstairs, throwing kisses and striking poses. They named their looks things like, teacher's pet, vacation, fancy style, workout and going shopping. The grand finale was "sailor girls" where they came out together, each wearing something with a sailboat theme, a pink dress for Anna and a blue skirt with a white sailing shirt for Kara. They spent hours putting together their looks and practicing how they would pose. Luke got involved as well, mainly running in circles and waiting for Thomas to reach out and grab him. He would squeal and run past us, staring at Thomas, just waiting. Meanwhile, Jack was downstairs playing the newly purchased Minecraft. 

Now, the big kids are at their first week of St. Johns. Luke is in his second, and final, week at his future preschool--it worked out really well this year, his first week was during VBS and his second week was while the other kids had camp at St. Johns. Unfortunately, they don't offer anything in August, so it will be just him and me when the big kids do their final week of camp. Luke has not been as enthusiastic as he was the first week and he actually cried when I dropped him off yesterday. They said he quickly recovered and he seemed to be having fun when I picked him up. He always responds with a "yes" when we ask if he likes it and he was very excited to put his artwork on the refrigerator.



Luke rode the "fast choo choo" at Six Flags. I think he had a love/hate relationship with the ride.

Second time he rode with Jack. Then, he was done.






2 comments:

  1. Hmm. I don't remember the conversation!! But I agree. Half my life would be totally forgotten if I didn't blog! I love looking back and remembering things we've done of the silly things my kids have done! :) so glad you decided to blog. I still love reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging is a great way to capture those fun moments that we quickly forget if we don't write them down. I have old journals and calendars from when my girls were little. Of course, when my girls were little, we didn't have the technology we have available today. I had forgotten about the conversation, but when I read what you wrote, I remembered it. I love blogging and I have also printed blog books for my blog through December 2015. My granddaughters and I like looking back in the books and online at the blog. What a great way to keep our personal family history. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

    ReplyDelete