Saturday, February 4, 2017

Sick Kids and a Sick Mom

Luke started complaining his stomach hurt on Wednesday. He wanted to be held all the time and was just miserable. He started vomiting that afternoon. He woke up seemingly better on Thursday and didn't throw up the entire day. Then, it started again on Friday. Ugh! Nothing like thinking a child is recovered and then watching them get sick again. Last night (Friday night), Anna came to us around 10:30 saying that she had been sick and wasn't feeling well. Thomas and I agreed that he would take duty until 2:30 and then I would take over for any issues after that. So, he sat with her for a long time. Poor Anna does not handle being sick well. Like all of us, she hates being sick, and she wants everyone to understand just how miserable she is. She finally fell asleep just before midnight.

At 2, a flashlight shined in my eyes. It was Kara. She had been sick and needed her sheets changed. I debated waking Thomas, since technically it was still his duty time, but it didn't seem fair after he had spent so long with Anna; I decided to go it alone. Sweet Kara felt bad and kept asking what she could do to help. She had already stripped part of her bed. We cleaned everything up and she went back to sleep.

I couldn't fall back asleep. Why? Because my stomach hurt. At 4AM, I fell as the 4th stomach bug victim of 2017. So, it is Saturday. Luke is better and all the females of the house are sick. Kara seems to have it the worst. Thomas took care of everyone while I took a 2.5 hour nap, which has helped me tremendously. I am hoping he and Jack will manage to avoid this one. The odds for Jack are good, he plays with Luke a lot, but mostly outside. He is very good about hand washing and avoiding other people's food and drink. The girls love to kiss and snuggle with Luke, so it wasn't too surprising that they got sick.

Being sick always reminds me how lucky we are to be generally healthy. Good health always tops my list of things to be thankful for and my list of what I request for the future. Although, these minor illnesses are just inconveniences, it will be nice when it passes. Hopefully, no one is afflicted when Thursday comes around. My good friends Marta and Elizabeth (Marta's daughter) are coming to visit. Marta was looking for a date to come up for a long weekend visit and decided to make it during Kara's birthday weekend. We are all very excited to see them! We had to cancel Kara's party last year because of snow, so I am really keeping my fingers crossed that it can go off as planned this year.

So, in summary. We are sick, but not too sick, for which I am very grateful :)

Patient 0. He had to be with me at all times, hence the nap in my bed.

Poor, miserable Kara.

Only benefit of being sick? Unlimited electronics.



1 comment: