Saturday, September 9, 2017

School Starting (and Philadelphia Wrap-Up)

Our drive home from Philadelphia was uneventful. We got gas station food, which seems to be everyone's favorite part of a road-trip. I forgot to mention that on Day 4, Anna's watch went off at a later place on the road and everyone was disappointed that we hadn't timed it to coincide. Overall it was a good trip. There were definitely some moments of frustration, but generally speaking the kids were well-behaved and cooperative.

When I asked everyone their favorite part of the trip, this is what they said:
Anna: when we walked around the city and heard the stories.
Jack: visiting the Museum of the American Revolution
Luke: hearing stories
Kara: Six Flags
Thomas: Independence Hall
Kori: Six Flags

I like when we get a variety of favorites, so it was a nice outcome.

We got home late on Sunday and had one day to relax before school started. I arranged to go in late to work so that I could see the kids off on their first day. Everyone was nervous. Because of our trip to Philadelphia, they hadn't been able to meet their teachers. Not everyone was sure where their classroom was and aside from a few friends who I could text, they didn't know who their classmates would be.

Speaking of which, I was pretty annoyed when the teacher list came out. We have had 3 out of 4 of the 3rd grade teachers and I expected that we would get one of them for Kara. It is just easier when you know the teacher and already have a good relationship established. Plus, we liked them all. The 4th option was a wildcard for us. We also had an expectation of who Jack would get. When the list came out, it defaults to the oldest kid. Anna had the teacher we thought Jack would get. Jack had a different teacher, and Kara had the wildcard. Ugh! We had talked to a few people and it was universally accepted that personality-wise Anna and Jack would be better off switched. I was most upset about Kara. Seriously, we had a 75% chance and she got the only one we didn't want.

I contemplated calling the school to complain, err politely request a change. But, I didn't want to be that parent and gave up on the thought almost as quickly as I had it. And, it's a good thing I did, because everyone is VERY happy. Jack got a teacher who has a passion for history, Anna loves her teacher, and Kara said her teacher is super nice AND her two best friends are in the same class! So, I am glad we trusted in the process, with only a few misplaced complaints.

Without further ado, the pictures:

Our sweet little Luke is very happy so far at his new school.

Hard to believe our little Kara is an upper elementary classman. ;)

Fourth grade Anna

And, her handsome twin.

Almost hard to believe it is the same kid. I am not sure where her K picture is, I'll have to dig it up at some point.

Jack has really sprouted up in the past few months.

Little Kara-bear.

Four years, lots of changes.



No comments:

Post a Comment