Sunday, January 21, 2018

Quiet January

Since we got a puppy, we haven't done much of anything. I still have some major regret over our spur-of-the-moment decision, but Gus is adjusting well. He sleeps a full 8 hours and is close to being housebroken. He can sit, lay down, shake, and come. We take him to puppy training classes, which is helpful for novice pet owners like us. So, it is going as well as one could reasonably expect. But, it still kind of stinks. Like today is going to be beautiful--temperatures in the 50s and sunny. Much nicer than any other weekend weather we've had in at least a month. But, we are kind of stuck at home. We can't leave him for more than a few hours and I'm a bit over it. The kids didn't let us sleep in much, but it is even worse now with the dog. He sleeps in his crate, but we have to let him out around 5:30 (the kids occasionally slept until 7) so there is no more leisurely weekends laying in bed (yes, until 7 is pretty leisurely, 5:30--not so much).

So, what are the positives? There really aren't many. I would have gotten rid of him weeks ago, but the kids and Thomas wouldn't get on board (to be clear, I knew someone looking for a puppy who would have provided him a great home, it wasn't like I was advocating to dump him at a shelter). I didn't want to hear them talk about the dog I got rid of for the next 40 years. And, like I said, he is a good dog and sometimes when he isn't hyper I enjoy sitting with him and petting him or working on his training. I like that he doesn't shed. And, sometimes, I do look forward to coming home and seeing his happy face. But, mostly it sucks. I do not recommend puppies for busy families, actually I am not sure who I would recommend a puppy to. I am also disappointed with the kids, I feel like the older 3 are big enough to be doing more for Gus, but the burden is carried largely by Thomas and me. Perhaps that is bad parenting on our part, but we have so many battles we already have to fight.

In other news, Thomas got a new car. It is a Honda Clarity and it is very nice. Hopefully, we will enjoy it for a long time. It is a plug-in hybrid, and since it is pretty much just for local driving, Thomas may never have to buy gas again.

Thomas and I saw The Greatest Showman yesterday. I thought it was pretty good, but Thomas hated it. I think Anna would have liked it, but she will have to wait for it to come out on video, since I didn't like it enough to see it in the theater twice.


Gus' favorite thing to do is play with his brother, Bear.

Kara and Gus. He has gained 8 pounds in 3 weeks. He's going to be big!

No comments:

Post a Comment