Saturday, April 14, 2018

Cherry Blossoms, Solos, Family Date Night, & a Math Competition

Last week I spent three days in DC for a work-related training. It was a fairly useful 3 days, but I hate being away from home. However, I decided to make the best of my time away and enjoy some of the sites. It happened to be prime cherry blossom blooming time, so my coworkers and I ventured down to the tidal basin and I finally got to see what all the fuss was about. They were very pretty, but I am not sure I would try and fight the crowds with the family. We went on a Wednesday night around 7 pm and there was still a good crowd. Plus, we can see cherry blossoms where we live. My second night away from home, I went to Old Town Alexandria, had a nice dinner and walked down King Street.




Meanwhile, I was missing the Fourth Grade play. It was the first school thing I've missed and I felt bad about it. I felt even worse when Anna was given the opportunity to sing a solo! The play was on Thursday. They held solo auditions on Tuesday, and made the announcement of who was singing on Wednesday. Thomas also couldn't go. He had some meetings at work that could not be moved. We were both very disappointed. We didn't even know the play was taking place until Monday and that just wasn't enough notice to change our plans. Jack had a speaking part, so that made missing it even worse. Fortunately, my neighbor was working at the school that day and she kindly took a great video for us. She also bought Anna flowers. Anna has developed a very nice singing voice and she sounded great! Jack did fantastic with his speaking part, so all was well.

First time trying to embed videos, hopefully it works!


I came home Thursday night, but had to work on Friday. It was the day of the annual Friends of the Library book sale. Thomas and I decided I would take a few hours of leave so that we could get there when they opened. As a special treat, we picked up the older kids from school and took them with us. We all had a great time browsing for books. I was really hoping to get a set of the Narnia Chronicles and I did! We bought two giant bags worth of books--something for everyone. I got a set of the first Bob learn to read books and Luke has been enjoying sounding out basic words.  He is one smart cookie--he can count up to 100 now, which he does proudly and often. The Bob books were something Kara loved. Doing them with Luke has brought back lots of good memories; and served as another reminder of how quickly time goes by.  After the book sale, we went to Harris Teeter and let everyone pick out a treat food.  We got Luke and then played outside until dinner time. To continue the family date, we went out to dinner and when we got home, we went for a walk. By the time we got back inside the house, it was after 7. A long, fun, day spent close to home.

Bags of books? Yes, please!



The girls also got cd's to keep in their room. 12 for $10--can't beat that!
Saturday was Jack and Anna's math competition day. They were both asked to be in the fourth grade math club. Then, the 7 top scoring students from math club comprised the math team. Both Jack and Anna were selected. Twenty-two elementary schools competed and their team came in 4th place! We were very proud. To celebrate, we took them out to lunch to a restaurant of their choosing--Cracker Barrel. Now, we are watching Cars 3. In a couple of hours, we have a birthday party to attend. Another fun, busy day!

the math team with their principal
The Wilson Mathletes

No comments:

Post a Comment