Saturday, December 8, 2018

Halloween: Pacman Family & Skeleton

I'm taking a break from cruise posts to write this very untimely blog about Halloween. I LOVED our costumes this year. I am always trying to think of a good family costume. Most years the kids have specific ideas about what they want to dress as. A couple of years ago, we all went as Star Wars characters. But, to date, that was our only theme.

We (yes, it's a "we," if we can get the kids to go as a cohesive unit, Thomas and I will join in) often start with something in mind. But, then someone backs out and the whole thing falls apart. This year, Jack wasn't interested in a family costume, because he really wanted to be Link (from Zelda). However, when I showed him what the Link costumes looked like, he changed his mind. The girls had some vague ideas, but were undecided. I decided to seize the opportunity! I had seen a Pacman costume for sale on one of the yardsale sites and it sparked my creative juices. I didn't want that particular costume, but Pacman? Now that's a theme! There are two Pacmans and 4 ghosts. And, in our family, there are 2 adults and 4 kids? Coincidence or kismet??? Luke was our only holdout. But, he's 4 and still a bit malleable. He thought he wanted to be a dragon, but once I showed him a picture of the Pacman ghosts, he quickly got on board.

I found a nice YouTube tutorial and bought all our materials. Thomas and I cut everything out and then the kids did the painting. Not only would we be united on Halloween, it was a family crafting/bonding experience!


One downside, the "washable" paint wasn't really washable. Luke's new coat and paints will forever bear the blue marks of Inky.

It was not all roses and sunshines. But, fortunately, I am writing this in December, where the good is remembered and the frustrations forgotten. Overall, they were easy to make, but it was a little more time consuming than I anticipated. Our time is so limited lately, but we managed to squeak it out in time for Halloween.

Thomas downloaded the Pacman music and we played it as we walked around the neighborhood. It was by far our most complimented costume. Just about everyone we encountered had something nice to say, which was not our purpose, but was still nice. Actually, I should say just about every adult we encountered. I think there were a good number of kids who had no idea what we were.

Pacman and the Missus along with Pinky, Inky, Blinky and Clyde.

Looks like someone ate a pellet! Better run!

With Jack and Anna entering middle school next year, I think our days in a family costume are numbered, so I was very thankful to have this year.

Our other fun Halloween moment this year, which I had forgotten until I went to grab the Pacman pictures for this blog, was our new decoration--Mr. Skeleton. We saw him at B.J.s and thought he would make a good addition to the Wilson family. Our Halloween decorations are getting a little scarier as the kids get older. Not too scary...yet! Well, probably not ever, we want our house to be a bit spooky, but we don't want little kids afraid to knock on the door. Slightly apprehensive? That's the sweet spot!

So, this year, we bought Mr, Skeleton. He has red, glowing eyes, and a sinister smile. We would stick him on the porch and bring him in at night. Somehow, we began putting him other places in the house. One night, I stuck him on the couch, thinking he could "surprise" the kids when they came downstairs the next morning. Of course, I was the first one down and it was still completely dark out. He definitely scared someone! Just not the intended audience. But, I got what I deserved. He did also scare Luke, which I felt bad about. However, it was light out and we told him there was something scary in the office, so he even went in being fully warned. And, the funniest part was when he went outside later and as we were coming back in, I reminded him about the skeleton and it still startled him! Worst parent ever???

Mr. Skeleton wound up in people's beds, closets, etc. Everyone (except maybe Luke, so we took it easy on him) loved having Mr. Skeleton come visit. I feel like he is the opposite of the sweet Elf on the Shelf tradition. Perhaps there is a market? I just need a catchy name and a mass marketing strategy. He watches the kids and if they aren't good in October, he isn't going to bother with some North Pole report, no, he will steal all their candy---AND THEIR SOULS! I can just see the commercials now.

You better watch out could take on a whole new meaning!

A fully dressed Mr. Skeleton, carefully placed by Thomas to rifle through my dresser.

Who wouldn't love to see this face in the middle of the night?



No comments:

Post a Comment