Sunday, July 14, 2019

Work Travel and What I Missed

I had to go to Milton, FL, for work. Not the most glamorous of locations, but it was necessary. Originally, I was supposed to be out of town for 5 nights, but I was able to get it down to 2. Florida is big; despite staying in the same state, Milton is 450 miles from Orlando and in a different time zone. So weird!

I have a like/dislike (love/hate is too strong) relationship with travel. I like to see new places and learn more about my job, but I don't like to be away from home. I feel guilty leaving Thomas to do everything, and I don't like missing anything. This time, I missed swim team tryouts.

The YMCA in our neighborhood has a swim team. Actually, they have two, a competitive and a recreational. Anna, Kara and Luke all wanted to try out. Unfortunately, Anna's back hurt on the day of the tryouts, so she decided to wait a month. But, Kara and Luke tried. I thought that because it is a rec team, everyone who met the basic requirements would make it. But, apparently, I was very wrong. Thomas said 20-30 kids tried out and he only saw 2 make it. Fortunately, one of them was Kara. Luke was disappointed, but he is a fairly new swimmer, so it wasn't a huge deal to him. He may try again "in the future." I put that in quotes, because we had a whole conversation about what "in the future means." The coach told him he is great for his age, but he needs to work on side breathing before he is ready for the team. He has really developed into a good swimmer in a very short time. I am okay with not burning him out anyway--practices are three times a week! I am not sure if they have to go to all 3 or not, but that is a lot of swimming. Although, with thunderstorms, maybe they are lucky if they get one in. Kara is very excited and ready to get to started!

So, I missed swim tryouts, which was logistically difficult for Thomas and I was sad to not see it. Anna and Jack had a field trip to SeaWorld while I was gone. Jack had fun, Anna had a bit of bad luck. They didn't do much and waited a long time for one ride, which broke as they were sitting in it (the restraints wouldn't lock). Earlier in the week, Kara went to Legoland, she had a good time, but was disappointed that they didn't get to do very much. They were only there for a few hours and one of them was to eat lunch. She really wants to go back. Luke maintains his ongoing objection that his camp doesn't go anywhere, but he is still having fun.

We have continued with our Disney passes. A few hours each weekend at one of the parks. We went to Animal Kingdom last week. We tried the Safari, River Rapids, Everest and Dinosaur. Luke did not like Everest or Dinosaur. But, he really loved the Dinosaur play area. And, while everyone else rode Everest a second time, I took him on Triceratops spin and we met Donald Duck. His shoes had been hurting his feet, so I bought him some socks and he had picked Donald Duck, so he needed to show him. Donald was duly impressed.



While on Dinosaur, Thomas tried to recreate a picture he did with Jack back in 2013. Here's the original and the new one.


Yesterday, we tried out Hollywood Studios, we did Toy Story Mania, Star Tours and the Muppet 4D. It was too hot to sit and watch shows and the lines were too long to do anything without a fastpass. We had a final fastpass for Rockin Rollercoaster, but it was later at night and we decided to just leave. The park is under construction for the new Mickey and Minnie ride and Star Wars land, so it just wasn't fun to navigate. It will definitely be better when it is not as hot and crowded. Although, Toy Story Mania and Star Wars were great and I've always liked the Muppet Show. So, it wasn't a total loss.

Our kitchen is still under construction. I can't remember if I've written about that. But, we are gutting the kitchen. New floors, cabinets, counters, and backsplash (and, most appliances). We are also doing the floors in the family room, so everything from the family room and kitchen is shoved into the front room. We have no microwave or stove, so we have either been eating out, cooking in the skillet or grilling. It is only supposed to last 2 weeks, but I have a feeling it will go longer. The cabinets were supposed to be in on Friday, but already that has been postponed to Tuesday "or maybe next Friday." Ugh! I will do a complete post about it when it is all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment