Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Hubert Christmas Party & Other December Fun

On Saturday, we had the much anticipated family Christmas party at the community room in my dad's neighborhood. My family, Kim's family, Kevin, my Dad, Maggie, Marta, Frank, Elizabeth, Maggie's sister, Judy, and JD's girlfriend, Mercedes, were all in attendance. So, there were 18 of us, which was a good, manageable size. We ate good food and played a few games. The first was holiday trivia. I did the questions, so I couldn't play. Which is unfortunate, because I definitely would have won. We did it at a work party a couple of years ago and I came in second, but only because I misread a question. Otherwise, I would have tied (and there were about 60 people playing). But, regardless, I couldn't play. Thomas won, but people cried foul (poor sports, all of them!). Kara actually came in second, but we decided, in the interest of fairness (and the fact that Kara has no need for snowman dish towels), to give the prize to a non-Wilson. So, Kim ended up with the prize. But, I was super impressed with Kara, or, as I like to call her--my little protege.

Kim got the prize
After lunch and trivia, it was time for the gift exchange. We did a white elephant/ Nasty Christmas/ Yankee Swap or whatever you want to call it. The gift exchange where number 1 goes first and then people can steal gifts along the way. Luke had number 14. We had explained the rules to him repeatedly before the party. And, since he was number 14, he had patiently watched 13 people go before him. We were really surprised on his turn when he went to the table to choose an unwrapped gift. There were several already opened presents that we knew he would like. He told us he was sure that's what he wanted and grabbed a gift. I was relieved when it was a cool Funko figure of Mr. Rodgers. But, alas, Luke did not like it. He asked, "now can I trade this?" When we told him no, he immediately burst into tears and loudly cried as he walked back to his seat, exclaiming, "but, I don't want this!" Fortunately, his super sweet cousin, number 16 took pity on him and stole the item. Although, I was kind of sad as I was planning on talking Luke into giving it to me. Luke then tried to pick one of the two remaining gifts off the table (are you kidding me?!?!?!), but we would not let him. He stole a cool hot chocolate gift and all was right in his world.

But, our family drama was not complete. Kara was super excited to have number 18. Unfortunately, we gave #1 stealing privileges and her gift was stolen at the last minute; she did not react gracefully to this unfortunate turn of events and was unable to enjoy the rest of the party. Fortunately, she was quiet in her frustration, but Thomas and I still felt bad for her and wished she was more easily able to move past the disappointment.

Grandpa Lou got a balloon animal kit. Later, it was stolen by Jack. Poor Grandpa! :)
Some of the Huberts
Thomas and Kevin played basketball with some of the kids. My dad, sister, Marta and some others played spoons. It was a nice afternoon and exactly why I wanted to move to Florida. After the party, Anna went home with Marta and Elizabeth. She had an amazing two nights with them. Elizabeth took her ice skating, which she has been begging me to do for months. They also made the coolest gingerbread/rice krispy manager scene. She also went to church with them and really had a fun few days. And, Marta said she was a complete delight. Anna is generally perfect when she doesn't have her siblings around to annoy/be annoyed by, so I was not surprised to hear she was a perfect Christmas angel.

It tastes as good as it looks and it looks amazing!

Anna on ice

Meanwhile, back at the Wilson house, we went to the park, did last minute Christmas shopping, played games, and watched some fun movies. Kara was envious of Jack's balloon animal kit (which I think she had chosen as her gift for the party) and used some money from Grandpa to buy her own kit. She has now perfected the balloon dog and is moving on to the monkey.

Kara and one of her creations
A good weekend was had by all! Monday, we met Marta to retrieve Anna. We opted to meet halfway at a Chick-Fil-A and had lunch with Marta. Then, we all went shopping together at Target. From there, it was back home. The kids really wanted to show Anna the park we went to, so we also did that. Then, we came home and watched the Christmas Prince Baby (or something like that). It is part 3 of the Christmas Prince Netflix Movie trilogy that Anna really likes. We also made peppermint shakes.  At 7:30, I asked if anyone wanted to go to SeaWorld and see the 8:45 ice skating show. It had rained earlier, so I figured it wouldn't be crowded. Anna and Kara were excited to go, Jack and Luke wanted to stay home. So, us girls went and had a fun few hours. We also saw the killer whale show and the girls were going to ride Manta, but the ride was stuck! It is nice to live so close and get to go for just a few hours.

Waiting patiently for the show to start

They were really good!

Now, it is Christmas Eve. We had lunch at Steak at Shake, watched The Santa Clause, wrapped more presents, baked cookies for Santa and opened some fun new Christmas jammies.

In other news, Kara made a wreath for her teacher and we made one for Grandma Marta.



And, in final "news" (aka things I want to memorialize) it was a hot a few days ago and Thomas thought he would go swimming. Luke thought it was a great idea and they both jumped right in. They lasted about 2 minutes. It was not nearly as warm as they expected it to be, even Florida has its limits.


No comments:

Post a Comment