Friday, January 3, 2020

2019: A Year in Review

2019 turned out to be an incredibly eventful year. We were well-established in Maryland when an opportunity to move to Orlando arose.  Thus, after spending almost a decade of our lives in Maryland, we relocated. When we left the military, one of the things we were most excited about was putting down permanent roots. We loved the idea of our kids growing up with children they had known since kindergarten. However, we (or, maybe "I" is more accurate) also loved the idea of letting them be near their extended family. I wanted to set the example that if it is possible to live near family, you should do so. So, we packed up and moved. I am still not sure if it was the right decision, although, I would probably say it was not. Fortunately, now that it is not so hot, I am finding that I really enjoy being here. But, Thomas hates it. And, the kids are still on the fence. I think I have covered this topic ad naseum in previous posts, so no need to continue to rehash. But, it was definitely the biggest thing to happen to us in 2019.

Since we moved, we didn't do our normal weekend trips. We had one short trip to Atlanta and otherwise stuck close to home. But, Orlando is a pretty good place to be on a staycation. We spent lots of time at Disney and SeaWorld. And, we are really enjoying being near my family. The girls have spent several nights at Marta's, who we see frequently. We also saw Kim and Dave a lot and they seem to enjoy board games as much as we do (score!!!). We introduced them to Settlers of Cataan and they introduced us to Unstable Unicorns. We haven't seen my dad or Kevin quite as often, but we definitely see them more frequently than when lived in Maryland. There is a new seafood restaurant that I want to go to with my dad and it is really nice to know that we can be at any of their houses in about an hour.

Favorite Memories of 2019:
Thomas: Meeting Alan Trammell
Kori: Visiting Stone Mountain
Anna: 5th grade graduation
Jack: When we left Hollywood Elementary and started driving to Florida
Kara: Going to Stone Mountain
Luke: I really liked all my Christmas presents. A lot.

Most Looking Forward to in 2020:
Thomas: Going to some Spring training games
Kori: Getting to visit new places (maybe Key West)
Anna: Turning 13
Jack: Officially becoming a teenager
Kara: Going into Middle School
Luke: Learning how to do multiplication

For me personally--work is going okay. I miss my Maryland coworkers and the atmosphere of that office, but I enjoy the actual work here more. I am feeling the pains of getting older. All my life I have had nice, thick hair.  Not anymore. I recently got my hair cut and instead of breaking out the thinning shears, the hairdresser commented on how I have fine hair. It is so gray and it bothers me more than it should. I am also frustrated that I had made some minor strides in loosing weight, but gained it all back over the holidays. I really want to make changes, but frankly, I have been saying that for years and wonder if I am capable. I think I will do another blog with resolutions, so I will stop now.

Thomas had a big year. At work, he hit the 15 year mark, which means an additional week of vacation time. He has been counting down to that for about two years now (I am no where close). Unfortunately, he really hates Florida. He likes my family and being close to the Tigers Spring Training facility. But, that is it. I never felt that strongly about Maryland, so I feel terribly that he is so unhappy here. I still think there is a good chance that we will end up back in Maryland. It is a better place career-wise and there was a lot to love about that area.

For the kids (by the way, this is the hardest blog I write and I kind of hate it. It was so much easier when the kids were little).

Anna has matured a lot this year. Last year she wrote in a daily positivity journal and I think it helped her to find more positives in her everyday life. She often seems to bear the brunt of frustration in our house, which really is not fair, but, she definitely talks to us the most rudely, which obviously doesn't help. She is quick to anger, but is also the quickest to get over it (which I really appreciate). She is very smart and does well in school. She received lots of awards at her 5th grade graduation and was a favorite of her teachers. Although, we occasionally butt heads because she doesn't understand why we want her to get an A when, according to her, there is nothing wrong with a B (we agree there is nothing wrong with a B, or even a C, as long as you put forth your best effort). On the other hand, she is still incredibly delightful on a one-on-one basis. She is often my evening walking partner and I really enjoy talking with her and hearing about what is going on in her life. She has a good perspective and a mature thought process. She adjusted well to the move and has made a lot of friends. She still enjoys her American Girls dolls, but is becoming more interested in technology. She is always up for an adventure. When she grows up she wants to be a marine biologist. My three words for Anna this year are engaging, interesting, and inquisitive. Thomas said improving, explosive, and pot-mixer.

Jack is also really changing and developing. I feel like we are seeing more glimpses of his and Anna's adult personalities and it is interesting to see these changes from child to young adult. He is also doing well in school and ended the semester with all As (except Spanish, which is the thorn in his side at school). He is probably the most adaptable of our children. He wanted to move the least, but adjusted the quickest, which is generally true of Jack. His latest passion is Lord of the Rings. He has read all the books and is in the process of seeing the movies. One of his teachers recently told him to "keep being yourself, you'll find your clan." I wonder what that clan will be; I could see Jack going in lots of different directions. I am a little sad that he no longer loves history as much. Sometimes I feel like he purposefully doesn't like the things that Thomas and I enjoy (I am not sure if it is conscious or subconscious). He is a homebody and would rather be at home than most places (including the theme parks) but generally has fun once he is out and about. He is still the most compliant of our kids and does whatever we ask of him without complaint. I find him the hardest to read, I feel like I know what the other three are thinking and feeling, but Jack can be somewhat of a mystery. When he grows up, he wants to be a cartographer. My three words for Jack are: sweet, smart, and focused. Thomas said distancing, self-assured and compliant.

Kara is doing well. Fortunately, I am not seeing the teenager in her yet. She is very competitive and wants to be the best at whatever she does. She works hard at school and is also athletic and strong. She has adjusted well to the move and seems to like Florida, although she misses her Maryland friends. Her temper is still her biggest challenge. She likes Legos and board games and is very creative. She also enjoys baking and helping in the kitchen. She loves cooking shows like Nailed It. She is usually up for an adventure. When she grows up she wants to be an author. My three words for Kara are creative, thoughtful and stubborn. Thomas said imaginative, difficult, and loving. (She didn't want me to say very much about her, which is why her write-up is the shortest--I give them veto power, but the others gave me carte blanche.)

Luke has had another year of big changes. I am shocked by how much he has learned this year. He can read! He is still very sweet, although I am super sad to say that he has developed a bit of a whiny side and when he is mad he gives us what we calls his "evil eye." However, generally speaking, he is still easy-going and happy. He does very well in school; his teacher just gave him the first grade word list, since he has kindergarten down, and he knew them all. He also understands some math concepts that are well-above his level, like simple multiplication (for example, since he can count by 5s, he understands how to multiple by 5s, also 0, 10s, and 2s and he wants to learn the rest. I just asked him 3x4 and it took a minute, but he got it!). He makes friends easily and adults tend to adore him. He is also a bit of homebody and doesn't like to go most places, particularly shopping. He really hates shopping. He loves to play outside and still loves sports. He told me yesterday that he wants to be a baseball player when he grows up (we'll see what he says today). He just told me that when he grows up he wants to be a baseball player. Luke is sweet, smart and friendly. Thomas said sweet, smart, and quick-angered.

No comments:

Post a Comment