Saturday, February 15, 2020

Volunteering and Kara is 11!

Last Sunday, the girls and I had our first volunteer hours scheduled at the Give Kids the World Village. We were signed up for the breakfast shift, which required getting up around 6:15. We got assigned to tray duty, which basically entailed handing people trays and silverware and carrying things for them as necessary as they made their way through the breakfast lines. Anna is a little shy, so it was hard for her to go up to people and offer her help. I obviously had no trouble and Kara did pretty good. She liked finding smaller kids and assisting them through the line. Anna also did fine, but I usually had to volunteer her (e.g. "my daughter Anna here is going to be your personal assistant..."). I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I am an introvert, but it is easy for me to make small talk and it is a happy place. The families were all getting breakfast before heading out to do super fun Orlando things. And, breakfast was awesome. They had a waffle station, omelets, pancakes, yogurt, oatmeal, cereal. Pretty much any breakfast food you can think of, plus--an ice cream station! We saw lots of people getting milkshakes. So, naturally, everyone is pretty happy. Obviously, the food is donated for the families, so they are very strict that volunteers cannot eat any of it. But, they did have some pancakes in the breakroom that were delicious.

My goal is at least once a month for 2020, but even though it was fun, I don't love it. I feel like they already have tons of volunteers. When we were there, there was a group of college students up for the weekend with the sole purpose of volunteering. There are also people who plan a volunteer vacation. And, lots of other large groups. So, I just don't feel needed, and I kind of want to be someplace where they actually need volunteers. Well, they do need them at GKTW, but they have plenty of willing and able volunteers, you have to sign up months in advance for some positions! Regardless, I will still do a minimum of 12 sessions this year.

at GKTW
Kara's birthday was Wednesday. The big 11. I teleworked so that I could go to the school and have lunch with her and Luke. It is a lot different than it was having lunch with them at their Maryland school. You have to sit at tables in the lobby, you can't actually go in the lunchroom. And, there isn't a lot of space, and it all has to be prearranged, so we don't do it very often. But, I don't think we've ever missed a birthday at school, either Thomas or I always find a way to make it. Well, until this year when Jack and Anna started middle school and it's no longer allowed. But, this blog isn't about them.

So, I was home and started my telework at 6am. Then, I took an hour break and brought everyone to Dunkin Donuts so Kara could pick out donuts for her class and the other kids could pick one out as well. Donuts are the current trend in 5th grade. After I go them off to school, I worked a bit more and then walked to the school. I love being so close! We had a nice lunch and enjoyed chatting. I really appreciate that my job has some flexibility that makes it all possible.

Kara's chosen meal was lil' smokies (two years in a row!) and BLT's. It was super simple, so we were able to make it happen on a school/work day. She asked for a whoopie pie cake and I found a recipe online; it was delicious! Since we are holding firm on small birthdays thanks to the Disney passes, her only gift from us was a Harry Potter book--The Artifact Vault. Luke and Anna got her a fitbit type watch and Jack got her a Harry Potter cookbook. I think she had a good day.

Her cake was delicious, but total mom fail--we didn't have candles! 





No comments:

Post a Comment