Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Lots of Medical Appointments & School

We had a lot of doctor's appointments this week. We got off schedule with the kids' annual check-ups when we moved to Florida, so they are all at the same time. I think for next year's, we will just push them off to their birthday months, or maybe work our way closer, so we aren't trying to get all 4 in before school starts. Speaking of which, I had them all scheduled for before school began, then they changed the start date. So, they all missed some of the first week.

Jack was first. He had a visit with the allergist on Friday morning. They did a scratch test on his back. He hadn't been tested in several years, so the doctor thought it would be a good idea to see where he is at. There were no surprises. He is still allergic to everything we already knew he was allergic to. Although, he did not test positive for dogs. But, he is very allergic to cats. And, of course, there are all the food allergies--peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish. So, nothing big there.

Setting up his grid. The left is environmental and the right is food.

The top left were cat and dust mites. I am not sure the top right, some type of nuts I believe.

And, unfortunately for Jack, he and Anna had their annual check-up that afternoon. We finally bit the bullet and had them get the HPV vaccine. So, poor Jack got scratched than poked. HPV is the only vaccine we have debated, but ultimately decided to just do it. In other news, Jack has gotten really tall, he is just under 5'8, which put him in the 98th percentile for his age. Anna was 5'3, which was about the 70th percentile. Although, we think Anna might be close to her full adult height. That visit was also relatively uneventful.

Monday, Kara and Luke had their check-ups. Poor Kara was due for 3 shots, Luke didn't have to get any, but was very upset on Kara's behalf. In fact, I think he was more upset than Kara. Kara is 5'1 and in the 83rd percentile. When checking her spine, the doctor was amazed at how flexible Kara is and encouraged her to play sports or do something athletic. We have been trying to get her, well all our older kids, to participate in organized activities for the past couple of years, but it is a losing battle. Luke was 48", which is the 77th percentile. I am not sure why I am writing all these out, maybe so we can compare in a few years?

Anyway, everyone is healthy.

Tuesday, we had Anna's follow-up with the orthodontist. After research, we knew we weren't interested in the option of removing teeth. The orthodontist agreed. With regard to the surgery, her issue is not as likely to lead to medical problems anytime soon (like chronic headaches, mouth tissue damage, sleep apnea, etc.), so there is no urgency. Thomas and I aren't going to force her into a surgery where the main benefits are currently cosmetic, but if it is something important to her, we will continue gathering information and arrange a consultation with the surgeon. For now, I think she wants to maintain the status quo. So, we will continue with the braces for about 10 more months and see what happens.

I had my follow-up with the gastroenterologist. I have a stomach infection that I am now taking medicine for, but I do not think it is a big deal. I honestly believe most (all?) of my issues are related to my weight.

So, that it is it for the doctor's appointments. Hopefully, we are good for a long, long time. Actually, Jack had to do blood work for the allergist today and we will have a follow-up to get those results. But, hopefully that is it for a long, long time.

Other than medical, the first 8 days of school went well. It is much better than what the kids did at the end of last school year. They are fairly well engaged and hopefully learning something. I think the true test will begin next week, after the face to face kids return and we get into the real routine. 

We met Luke's teacher. He starts in person on Friday. His teacher seems very nice and excited to start the year. Listening to their online classes, I think she must be a saint! For example, today they had technical difficulties and the kids couldn't see anyone. They were all raising their hands (on the app, not literally, since no one could see anyone). She talked in first grade terms about how there were technical issues, but they all wanted to tell her how they couldn't see each other. She kept saying, "okay, friends, if you are raising your hand to tell me you can't see anyone, I understand, so please put your hands down. Okay, I see Emma still has her hand up, Emma, what would you like to ask?" Emma then comments on how she still can't see the teacher. They go through the discussion again, "the system has a boo boo and they won't be able to see each other right now." All the hands go back up. Even Luke. She called on him and he told her how he could see himself earlier, but not now. Another kid had to tell her that they tried to log off and back on, but still couldn't see her. It was pretty funny and I was frustrated on her behalf! Thomas was listening in when she was trying to teach them how to use the "raise your hand" function on Teams. He said that one was even worse. My mom was a first-grade teacher and I wonder if she was so patient because of that, or was she a first-grade teacher because she had the patient temperament? Either way, I am thankful to have been raised by a first-grade teacher, although I am not sure how much rubbed off on me.

Luke and the very patient Mrs. Bearns

No comments:

Post a Comment