Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Valentine's Day and Kara turns 12!

Friday was Kara's 12th birthday. As we are back to avoiding most activities, her options were limited. We told her she could invite 2 or 3 friends over for a Harry Potter themed party, but one of the 2 she wanted to invite isn't allowed inside friend's houses until COVID is over. So Kara abandoned the idea. We gave her some options for activities: the beach, a drive-through zoo, a hike, etc. But, she wasn't interested. Her best friend, Sophia, comes over to do school with her on Fridays and Kara decided to just hang out with Sophia. She chose Publix subs for dinner, with lil' smokies and berries (blueberries, strawberries and raspberries combined). For dessert, she wanted apple pie instead of cake. Her friend's mom is from Germany and offered to make an authentic apple strudel/cake. I quickly said yes and confirmed with Kara that this would meet her pie request. They did school all day and then we had her requested dinner. The apple cake was absolutely amazing! Kara opened her gifts (an instant camera, Switch game, Amiibo, shirt, and a mystery). The first part of the mystery arrived by mail and Kara has to solve clues and more parts will follow. I am sworn to secrecy, so I can't say too much more, but I think it will be a good adventure. She liked all her gifts.

Kara and Sophia with her German dessert

Testing her camera and wearing her new shirt (Simply Southern Save the Turtles)

Luke had his school Valentine's Day party on Kara's birthday. His class wasn't allowed a traditional party, which meant no exchanging Valentines. The teacher asked parents to donate cash for her to do everything. Being a lazy mom, I loved this! I happily Venmo'd over some money. She bought them pizza and some other treats and Luke really enjoyed the day. 

Saturday, Luke had another football game. They are only playing one team all season, so it is slightly repetitive. But, Luke's team won again. He was supposed to have his first baseball game right after, but the weather took a violent turn and it was cancelled. We let the kids try Kara's new game and it was a quiet day at home. Oh, we also did karaoke. Kara said she doesn't like the Beatles, so I did a nice medley of Beatles songs, because that is the kind of mom I am.

Sunday was Valentine's Day. We watched Fever Pitch, except Luke of course, he played on his school iPad. We had conversation hearts, heart shaped rice krispy treats and tacos for dinner (one of the few meals everyone likes). It was a pretty quiet day. And, we did a Mardi Gras/Valentine's Day hybrid and I hid a heart in each pan of rice krispys. I told them whoever got it would find love this year. They weren't super amused. Kara got the one in the regular batch. I think the chocolate one is still unfound, or no one wanted to admit it.


Monday was President's Day. Anna got her Herbst put in. I really hope it works! After that she and I went to Target and I let her pick out some barrettes and discounted chocolates (for her and her siblings). Thomas and Jack put up our new security cameras. Kara had her dance; February is parent observation month. Monday was my day to watch the acro portion. Those kids are hard-core! Their warm-up was 10 burpees (with pushups), 10 squats, 10 sit-ups, 10 pushups and multiple back-bend stretches (one leg, one hand, one leg and one hand, hops while in backbend, etc). Then, they did headstands and handstands, weird cartwheels, and a host of other things. Kara is definitely getting better. She is incredibly flexible, almost freakishly so. I have no idea where it comes from, but her class puts it to good use.  Next week, I get to watch the ballet part!

That's about it. As mentioned, we are limiting our activities, but Anna and Luke are still in school. Luke has sports, and Kara has dance. So, we are doing more than we probably should. I guess it is all the weighing of risks. I was actually more willing to take risks when there was no vaccine, but now that we are so close, I just want to avoid getting COVID. 

1 comment:

  1. 12 my butt! She is still kindergarten! I refuse to believe she is 12! And who doesnt like the Beatles? Seriously Kara! For real, COVID sucks, I am so so over it. I wish peeps would just do what they needed to do

    ReplyDelete