Monday, June 7, 2021

A Day in the Life: 2021 Edition

I was reading my old blogs yesterday and read a "Day in the Life" I did back in December 2012. It was fun to read and I was sad that I didn't do any other blogs in that style. So, I decided to do our day today. In December 2012, I was a (mostly) stay-at-home mom and Thomas was deployed. Jack and Anna had recently turned 5 and Kara was 3. We are in a vastly different place now!

Thomas and I woke up around 5:40 and were signed into work by 6. I worked for about 1.5 hours and then woke up the kids. Today was their first camp day! Kara and Anna were signed up for All-Stars at the middle school and Luke had soccer camp. However, Kara was tired, had a headache, and her arm hurt. Because she got her 2nd Covid shot yesterday, it all made sense and she decided to stay home. 

Luke often asks for a lot for breakfast. This morning, he wanted a bagel and eggs. But, after he ate the bagel, he no longer wanted the eggs. This is pretty common. Sometimes, he will ask for 3 or 4 things, I always say yes, and ask him what he wants first. Whatever he has first is usually all he ends up wanting. Anna had a breakfast sandwich. Kara had cereal, Jack had pancake on a stick.

We were out the door by 8:15, I dropped Luke and Anna off at their respective camps and was back to work at 9. Meanwhile, Thomas had run Jack to the orthodontist. The orthodontist is maybe a mile from our house, so it is usually pretty quick. Thomas was home by 9:15 and Jack's treatment is progressing nicely.

I worked until 12 and then had lunch with Kara. I made a salad and Kara had pizza rolls, we chatted a bit. Her head still hurt, but she didn't want to take any medicine. I got a notice that our car registration failed because of overdue tolls, so I called the toll people to pay $18 in outstanding tolls of which we were completely unaware. I was back at work at 12:30 and worked for 3 hours and then left to get Anna and Luke. Anna really enjoyed her day at camp. She had "classes" in the morning and played games in the afternoon. She gave a friend her number and he (HE!) was already calling on our drive home (the older kids still share a single cell phone). 

We picked up Luke, who did not love soccer camp. He played goalie and was hit in the head twice and stomach once. He said the 2nd head one really hurt and made him cry a lot and he needed an ice pack. Luke doesn't really cry at sports (at least from injuries), so this concerned us. He also said he had a headache (no surprise) and he was pretty cranky. We were home by 4:15, I gave Luke some medicine and he hung out upstairs while I worked for another hour and then signed out, with my required 8 hours. (Sidenote: I REALLY love the maximum flex hours we are allowed right now!)

While we were working, Jack and Kara spent most of the day reading. I checked on Kara once and she was laying the floor with a book. She also did some Legos. Jack was on the couch reading for a lot of the day (he starts a camp tomorrow to learn to fly a drone).

Thomas and I made dinner together--turkey taco mac, although Thomas did most of the work. We had a good dinner discussion about a crime documentary I watched on police interrogation tactics (is that normal dinner conversation for anyone else?) and then Thomas heard about The Boy and we talked about being careful in friendships with the opposite gender. Anna was not thrilled. After dinner, I did a quick Google search and learned the average age kids start dating is 12.5 for girls and 13.5 for boys. Ummm, not our kids! Not that any of them appear interested in actual dating at the moment, but they are at a tricky age. We don't want to discourage friendships, but we don't want them pairing off either.

The kids did their chores and then it was electronics time. Anna played Minecraft, Jack played computer games, Luke watched Minecraft videos on YouTube and Kara played outside with a friend. Thomas and I watched Flea Market Flip and I wrote the blog.

The kids went upstairs to read/relax at 8. Thomas and I will call it a night around 9:30 and we'll do it all again tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a busy and productive day! 💗

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope nope nope! Ireland is not allowed to "date" until she is 16, but ONLY in group settings. Like not one on one.

    ReplyDelete