Saturday, July 10, 2021

Independence Day, Camps, etc.

Sunday, July 4th, we left the house around 10 to take Anna and Kara to their first ever sleepaway camp! We all went, but when we got there (around 1130), they would only let one adult inside. So, Thomas took the girls (and their bags) in and I waited in the car with the boys. I was excited and nervous for them and it was hard to say goodbye.

The boys and I stopped for lunch on the way home. When we got home, Luke did sparklers and played with some friends. He was the only boy with 5 girls, but I think he has gotten used to that. We weren't sure the weather would hold out, but it did and around 830 we went outside and starting seeing the fireworks around the neighborhood. Some of them were really impressive, comparable to a small commercial display. We saw some bats flying around and I felt bad for them and other animals. Luke did more sparklers and poppers. I finally got him inside shortly after 10, while the fireworks were still going strong. We would have let him stay out longer, but he had a big day on Monday--baseball camp!

A friend (Sunshine) had messaged me while we were in NC and asked if Luke might want to do the baseball camp with her son, Mike. She offered to provide transportation. Of course, Luke loved the idea. I was off from work on Monday, so I offered to do shuttle service, but Sunshine came along for the drop-off. We had a good conversation on the drive and I picked up two very happy, sweaty boys later that afternoon. Sunshine drove them on Tuesday and Thursday, but camp was canceled Wednesday due to Tropical Storm/sometime Hurricane Elsa. It turned into a non-event, which was slightly frustrating for camp purposes, but they had to make the call with the information they had. Luke went to Mike's house instead and had a great time.

Kim and JD came up to visit on Monday. We chatted and went to lunch at Pollo Tropical. It was strange to have Jack as the only Wilson kid. Marta drove up on Wednesday. We played Kingdominos with the boys and then Marta and I went to dinner at a restaurant I've wanted to try for awhile. When we got back, we went for a short walk. It was nice to catch-up.

We got our first letter from Anna on Thursday. Monday was a holiday, and apparently the mail takes two days (I told them to mail out a letter on Tuesday so we could see how long the mail takes). I was super excited. I get a daily e-mail from the post office around 8am each morning, so I knew it was coming. I checked the mailbox all morning to see if the flag was down (we have been sending them letters everyday, so the flag is up daily). It arrived at 1 and was a very short note she had written on Sunday, the same day we dropped her off. I don't think she realized that there would be no mail on Monday. But, regardless it was nice to hear from her.

Friday, I took the boys to camp and went in to the office. Their camp was at UCF, so it was really close to work. It was okay to be back. I got my 10-year service pin. Honestly, it feels like it has been so much longer. Six of the years were on active duty and four have been as a civilian. I feel old to only have 10 years of creditable service. But, I am still very thankful and have no regrets for the years I got to be at home with the kids. 

And, we had two letters! One from Anna and one from Kara. Kara's was fairly brief. We think she is having fun. Anna gave us a detailed account of her day. It was a fantastic letter with lots of details: they wake up around 630; lights out is at 10; they spend a lot time in the cabin, especially when it rains; the food is good; she is making friends. Today, Saturday, we had another letter from Anna. She sounded a little more homesick, but still gave us lots of good details about her life at camp (she is canoeing and swimming, maybe doing the ropes course if it doesn't rain, night-swimming, archery, etc.). She included a letter to Luke, which had some funny anecdotes (her bunk mate talks in her sleep, a frog lives in their bathroom, she saw a baby bear, etc.). If we got the letter today, that means she mailed it on Thursday morning, so she probably wrote it Wednesday. I am really glad the camp has a no electronics policy, but it is really hard to have the time-delay. 

Tomorrow, we drop Jack off. The girls wanted to do two weeks. Jack was on the fence about going at all, but we convinced (made?) him to do one week. I think he will really enjoy it. I think he was a little bored this week with Luke gone during the day and Thomas and I working. 

It has been easy having just two kids in the house. We will see what it is like with just Luke. He will be at camp during the day, and I wonder how lonely he will be in the evenings. We pick up all three kids early next Saturday, but it is still 6 nights.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this wonderful article. Last time my kids are went to the 2 Week Sleepaway CampsIn Maine and they enjoy and learned many things

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Useful Information,
    I prefer ( https://campnorthstarmaine.com/ ) for plaining overnight camp, summer camp, sleepaway camp, sports camp.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this wonderful article. Last time my kids are went to the Youth Camps Near Me and they enjoy and learned many things!

    ReplyDelete