Friday, May 27, 2022

End of Another School Year

On Monday, we played hooky and went to Busch Gardens. The middle school was having a celebration for the straight A kids that Kara didn't want to miss. So, the weirdo chose school over Busch Gardens. The rest of us left around 8 and had an easy drive to Tampa. Unfortunately, as we got close we saw lots and lots of buses. We had expected a really quiet day, but the park was full of school trips. We were all very disappointed. However, we were able to zig when everyone else zagged and had a great day. Busch Gardens has Cheetah Hunt, which is my second favorite roller coaster (number 1 is Hagrid's). We rode three times, never waiting more than 25 minutes. We also rode the brand new Iron Gwazi! It was way too intense for me. It went so fast, 76mph, that it literally hurt my eyes to keep them open. The kids and Thomas thought it was okay, but also agreed that it was too fast to be fun--you don't really know where you are on the track. I saw a review that says the front feels slower, so maybe we will try again and sit toward the front (we were in the last three rows). We rode the train, other rides, saw the animals, watched the ice skating show, and overall had a pretty relaxed visit. 

From Iron Gwazi to the little fliers, Luke did them all.




Tuesday was uneventful. Jack and Anna had to get ECGs to enroll in marching band, so they did that. Wednesday was the last day of school. After the school shooting in Texas, it was hard for me to say goodbye to the kids that morning. I cried after dropping Luke off, not because I was sad for the last day, but because all I could think about was 19 families who would not be taking their kids to school ever again. Ugh, I am crying as I write this, so I will just leave it at this--something has to change in this country. I am all for "reasonable minds can disagree" but anyone who thinks we should maintain the status quo is insane. I already donate monthly to the Sandy Hook Promise and I wrote my legislators letting them know that from here on out, I will only vote for candidates who support major reform. We deserve to feel safe at school, work, the grocery store, church. etc. And, yes, I strongly agree that mental health concerns also need to be treated differently, but it is more than that. 

Back to happier news--the kids all enjoyed their last day. It was 8th Grade Day at the middle-school and they had food, bounce houses, and a teacher dunk tank. They also had portables set up with various themes (art, movies, board games, etc.). The kids had a blast! They all ended the year strong--straight As for the entire year for Jack and Kara and As and Bs for Anna and Luke. 

And, just like that--we have two high schoolers!



To celebrate the end of the school year, Wednesday night, Thomas took the older kids to see Dr. Strange. Luke and I stayed home  and played Life, ordered pizza and then went to the pool with his BFF Mike, Mia (Mike's sister) and Jack (in his class at school). 

Thursday, Jack and Anna had a one-day band camp. I think it is a preview day for what the 2-week "camp" in July will entail. They both said it was fun and Anna still wants to join, so I e-mailed her counselor, who will hopefully make it happen. Kara babysat for the Cantells, and Thomas had to go to the office, so it was just me and Luke at home. This arrangement made it hard for me to get work done. So, I invited one of his friends over and that was a huge success. They entertained each other and I got my work done = win/win. Most weeks, he will be going to camp, but since there were only two days at home this week, it didn't seem worth the hassle of signing him up. Two of our kids have been great at entertaining themselves (Kara and Jack) and two just do not like to be alone (Anna and Luke). I think Luke is the worst. Maybe it is a youngest child thing? The older three always had each other, so maybe being by themselves was more a treat? Although, that wasn't really true of Anna, so who knows?

Today (Friday) I had to work. Kara was babysitting again, but she brought the girls over to swim with Luke. Thomas took the day off and brought Jack to a doctor's appointment and to the gym for the first time. Jack has been watching the Rocky movies and we think he is inspired. I will update here if he attempts to drink any raw eggs.

And, to conclude--more end of year school pictures:






Luke's sneeze collage :)


No comments:

Post a Comment