Saturday, December 17, 2022

A Week in the LIfe--December Edition

Saturday--Luke was playing in a baseball tournament. His games were at 2 and 4, which was a nice change. The girls and I baked peppermint cupcakes in the morning. Thomas and Anna left around noon for the 2 o'clock game, which was about 45 minutes from our house (coach wants them there an hour early to warm up). Then, I took Jack to his basketball game, it was about 30 minutes away. Jack played good defense, but his team lost. By a lot. After his basketball game, we went to Luke's second baseball game. They also lost. But, they had won their first game. After the games, we had dinner at Wendy's. I am not sure what Kara did during her blissful afternoon home alone.


Sunday--more baseball. Thomas wasn't feeling well. His throat is covered in ulcers which make it impossible to eat. Or, at least very painful. Even drinking is hard. He finally went to the Minute Clinic, and they basically said there was nothing he can do except wait it out. They couldn't pinpoint the cause (actually they said it is probably from using a new toothbrush or toothpaste--neither of which he's using). After some Google research I think after 21 years together I finally infected him with my cold sore virus, which can manifest initially as throat ulcers. So, I took Luke to his games. They had to play the number one ranked team and they won! It was very exciting and moved them to the Championship game. Then, they completely fell apart. They were winning 5/4 until the 5th inning and then it was just error after error in the field. They ended up losing 19-5. It. was. brutal. Luke was the third batter in the final inning and I told the mom sitting next to me that I hoped they either scored at least 5 runs or the first three batters got out. One and two struck out. Then, it was Luke. I told her, I hope he makes a really good hit to the outfield, but they make a spectacular catch so this game will finally end. And guess what? That is exactly what happened! Who knew I was a soothsayer??? By now it was late and the kids were tired, but they did their team party. They had drawn names for Secret Santa and passed out gifts (Luke asked for Bad Guys books which is what he received) and had some treats. They took pictures with the second place trophy and everyone had fun.

Anna came with me. Jack went to a friend's birthday celebration. About 5 teenage boys met up at the movies and saw Black Panther. Then, they went to dinner at Red Robin. Thomas did the pick up and drop off for that. Jack had a lot of fun. Kara hung out at home. 

Our living room. I wanted more of the garland.
Monday--Everyone went to school and work. We had a Walmart grocery delivery, but there were a lot of items out of stock. Kara had to stay after for play auditions. She is the student director, so she was assisting in the process. Jack had to stay after for concert practice. Anna and I left to pick them up around 4:20 and went to Sam's Club. I needed to get Sun Chips for Luke's class party and wanted to get more garland. Sometimes, the drive to that area, which is less than 5 miles away, can take well over 30 minutes, but traffic was surprisingly light, so we also had time to go to Walmart and get bags for Anna's gifts to her friends and to look for the out of stock items (which were all in stock at this Walmart). Then, we still had some time, so we ran to the Publix next to the middle school and got pretzel rods for chocolate covered pretzels and cash for the pool guy. I was shocked at how much we accomplished in just an hour! We got Kara, then picked up Jack. Dinner was waiting for us when we got home. Then, some of us watched a Community Christmas episode. 

Tuesday--More work and school. Kara had to stay after again for more auditions. It was a concert night for Jack. Tickets for the concert (which is all performing arts groups at the high school) went on sale on a Monday night. I went to get tickets on Wednesday afternoon and they were almost all sold out. There were only a few single tickets available. So, we bought one for the Thursday night performance. I felt bad, but I had no idea what a hot commodity the tickets would be. Jack's band is only playing one song, so I don't think he cares too much. Anyway, after school Jack went to the gym, Anna and Luke did homework. Then, around 5:15, I left to drop off Jack for the concert, and picked up Kara at 6, I was back home around 6:20. Thomas made dinner. We had Hamburger Helper. We saw it at the dollar store and it brought back childhood memories. None of our kids had ever heard of it and it was okay, if we have it again, I would try a different flavor. Anyway, Anna had a Teen Leader's club meeting, so she was gone by the time the rest of us got home. Luke chatted with a friend on Messenger Kids. We walked Anna home from her meeting and then Thomas went and got Jack when the show ended around 8:45. Normally, Luke would have baseball practice, but they ended the season and will resume in mid-January.

Wednesday--Thomas and I had to go to the office. Thomas went in around 6 and I stayed home and made sure the kids got up and off to school. Then, I went in. We had our office Christmas lunch. I had some meetings (via Zoom) and then came home. Kara stayed after school again for auditions, Thomas picked her up at 5. She came home saying she didn't feel great. I took Anna to her figure skating. We got home around 730 and watched a Charlie Brown Christmas. Thomas had originally planned on taking Luke to Ice at Gaylord. He got a free ticket from school, but then Thomas saw that a ticket and parking for him would be over $60, so we told Luke he could have another movie and hot chocolate night instead. We weren't completely opposed to the $60, but we know from past experiences about all the upselling they do and just didn't feel up to it.

Thursday--Kara woke up still not feeling great, but had a science test, so she insisted on going to school. Pre-Covid, I wouldn't have thought much about it. But now I feel guilty for letting her go. I tried to convince her to stay home, but she doesn't like to miss school, especially when she has a test. And, I don't think she has Covid or flu or anything like that. I think it is more likely that it's just a hard week catching up to her (lots of tests and then staying after every day).  Anyway, she went, got an A on her test and said she felt fine. We had bad weather all afternoon and I was super nervous about dismissal. The older kids got held in some of their classes, but they ended up releasing on time. Luke had his Christmas Party. He said it was okay, but they played Kids Bop Christmas music and he did not like it. Thomas and I went and got haircuts. After school, Jack went to the gym. We had an early dinner and Thomas went to Jack's concert. I took the other kids out for ice cream. Luke got a coupon for a free cone when school started. It was only valid on Thursdays and normally he has baseball practice, so he was excited to finally be able to go. It was good. Thomas said the concert was amazing. He could see why it was sold out and said it felt like he was at a professional performance. 

Friday--Thomas and I were off from work. It seemed like all the kids were doing was watching movies at school. So, we asked if they wanted to go to Volcano Bay. Anna and Luke said yes, Jack and Kara wanted to enjoy a laid-back day at school. However, then we realized the high temperature was only 65--too cold for Volcano Bay. So, everyone went to school. It was pajama day for Luke so he didn't really mind, but Anna was a bit bitter.  Thomas and I went shopping. We came home and wrapped presents and did tons of laundry. We also got an e-mail from Luke's school librarian--he gets to do Battle of the Books! The team is comprised of only 6 kids from the whole school (5 regular and 1 alternate), so we were pleasantly surprised that he was selected as a 3rd grader. He starts practices in January and the competition is March 21st. He is very excited.

After school, Thomas' former coworker (Joe) stopped by for a few minutes on his way to his mother's house. Thomas and Jack played basketball. We had dinner and then Thomas, Jack, Anna and I went on a bike ride throughout the neighborhood to look at lights. Jack and Anna abandoned us halfway through, but Thomas and I enjoyed being out. We also watched a Christmas movie--'Again?' on Disney+. It was like a Groundhog Day and I liked it, Thomas did not. It was our only day all week without any scheduled activities and it was so nice. I like that all our kids have activities they enjoy and I don't mind all the driving. But, it is so nice when we have a night with no where to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment