Sunday, May 14, 2023

Another Week: testing, formal, band banquet, baseball

It was a busy week! Actually, the week wasn't too bad, but the weekend was hectic. The kids had testing this week and they all did great. Luke was one point away from a perfect score on his math FAST. All the kids got 5s in ELA. Nobody has gotten lower than a 4 on anything. They are smart cookies! 

On Wednesday, Anna stayed home from school sick. She really didn't want to (it was skating day!) but she was feeling pretty miserable. Fortunately, a day of rest did the trick and she was back to school on Thursday and feeling a lot better. 

On Thursday, I took my dad to the neurologist. He had gone to an urgent care clinic earlier in the week that diagnosed him with water on the brain. The neurologist said it could be that or just the brain's changing shape from getting older.  He has some expected symptoms but not all, so they really can't be sure. The only way to confirm is to get a spinal tap. If he didn't have a pacemaker, he could do an MRI, but he does so he can't. And, he is back in the hospital and was diagnosed with the flu, which I am now thinking I may have caught from him. 

On Friday, Luke did a wax museum at school. He lucked out and was assigned the state of Nevada (Thomas' home state!). He had to make a poster, dress as a representative character, and memorize a one-minute speech. He did a great job and it was so fun! Thomas and I enjoyed seeing his presentation, and those of all his classmates. They all did a great job and I think it was his best school event yet! If you are wondering, Luke is "Silver Blue Lou" because Nevada is the silver state and its colors are silver and blue. He highly recommends you visit :)

Making his presentation to Sunshine :)

Friday night, Kara had her last band concert. She is not playing in high school, which I am sad about, but I understand. She wants to take debate and has to take a foreign language, so for her last elective she had to choose between band and theater and she chose theater. I learned my lesson last year with Anna, so I am not trying to persuade her into a different choice. Although, as a former band kid, it does make me a teensy tiny bit sad.

We were definitely sadder about this being her last concert than she was.

Saturday was a big day at our house. Luke had a baseball tournament, Kara had 8th grade formal, and Jack had a band banquet, for which I signed up to volunteer (well, volunteer is generous, I was cajoled at their last concert). I took Kara to get her nails done, which was $70 (with tip)! I had no idea it was so expensive. Kara paid for most of it, but I did kick in a few dollars.  But, her nails looked good and she said it was worth it. The formal was held at a Top Golf. They had dinner and dancing and snacks. It was Kara's first dance and she said she had fun.


Meanwhile, I went to the banquet. I helped set up and transform from dinner to dancing and then clean up. Jack had a good time hanging out with his friends (he also helped with setup and cleanup). I watched some of the senior awards and speeches and it was sweet. I am glad I am a freshman mom and not a senior mom. Hopefully by the time 12th grade rolls around I will be prepared for it. Jack looked very handsome, but I did not get a good picture. I was rushing helping Kara get ready and kept thinking I would have plenty of time to get one of Jack and then didn't. #momfail

You can kind of see him in the back left corner.

The conga line was pretty popular.

Today is Sunday. Mother's Day. Jack learned my favorite song on the saxophone, Anna wrote me a letter, Kara made a card, and Luke gave me gifts from school. We had Chinese food for dinner. I went to Luke's tournament. I might have stayed home, but it is his last one as a Los Leones (I think). It appears as though the band is breaking up. It is sad. Luke's last game was a good one, he had both a triple and a home run! It was his first of both this season. And, I was glad I was there to see it. I almost got the home run on video, I got out the camera to record, but wasn't quite ready and he hit the first pitch, so I missed it. Thomas does the scoring for the games, so he is not able to get video or I am sure he would have recorded it. I am the worst with pictures/videos! Oh and not to brag too much, but Luke finished the season with the highest batting average on his team :)

One of the teams put up this sign and we all took advantage.

It's been a great ride for the past couple of years. If it really is over, we will definitely miss all these faces.

Final thoughts, of which I have two:

    1) Summer--thank you for always leaving comments on my blogs. I appreciate it!! 

    2)  I finally broke my previous Wordle streak. Was 88, as of today it is 89. This probably means tomorrow I will forget to play and have to start over.

4 comments:

  1. I wish Luke and Brandon could play baseball together! Congrats to him on a great game. Happy Mother's day! Oh, and Kara looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot with Kara. She is still my baby kindergartener. She looks absolutely gorgeous. Holy moly time has flown. Back to reading...

    -Summer

    ReplyDelete
  3. And my little history loving boy looking all dapper...WHAT IN THE WORLD HAPPENED?!?!

    -Summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annnnd I just got to the bottom. Of course I'll leave comments...I have to keep up with favorite people somehow, right?!?!!?

    Why is Luke so tall?! You realize if I get to see them I will cry my eyes out

    ReplyDelete