Friday, July 14, 2023

Anna's First Competition & Visitors

Anna competed in her first ice-skating competition on Thursday. It was a bit of a roller-coaster. We really like her coach, but also really like her learn-to-skate instructor. Her instructor is a bit tougher on Anna and more hands-on with showing moves; we asked her to do a couple of lessons with Anna before the competition. And, she was concerned about the category Anna was registered in. She called Anna's coach and we got her category switched. But, it meant we had to go on Thursday morning instead of Saturday. This was on Monday. Thomas was participating in a hearing that he could not reschedule. So, it was me and Anna. Jack thought about going, but when he heard we were leaving at 6am, he decided to watch the live-stream. Kara was planning on it, but her alarm didn't go off and we didn't wake her up. She had been out late the night before (more on that later) so we thought she had changed her mind about going. She was very upset and called us at 6:30am asking why we left without her.

Anyway, the competition was in Clearwater, about 2 hours away. We left at 6 and got there around 8:15. They had groups A and B for the categories and Anna was in High Beginners, Group B. We watched some of Group A and some of the Beginners. They all looked amazing! The beginners were way more advanced than I expected. Anna's group went at 9:30. The rest of the family was able to watch the live-stream. Anna worked hard on her routine, but came in 7th out of 7. She was disappointed that her score wasn't higher. But, she enjoyed the experience.


We left Clearwater around 1045 and I realized we would be passing through Lakeland at lunchtime. I hadn't made any plans with my dad because I had no idea how long the competition would take or how long Anna would want to stay and watch. But, it was perfect timing and I called to see if he wanted to have lunch. He invited us to join him in his community's dining room. My sister was also joining him, and it was great to be able to see both of them. We had a good visit and Anna was impressed with my dad's lunch friends. They are a really fun group and we enjoyed their banter and chitchat. We got home around 3:30. That night, Thomas took everyone to Chick-Fil-A to celebrate Anna's first competition. I wasn't feeling well (not sure why, but I was really dizzy) so I stayed home.

It had been a long, busy week. Kara's Maryland BFF, Ashley was in Orlando for a dance competition and invited Kara to spend time with her. On Monday, we dropped her off early for Magic Kingdom. Anna and I met them after work and we didn't get home until 10:40. Tuesday, we did the same thing with Islands of Adventure, except I also had to leave work early for a last-minute ice-skating lesson. So, it was work, then skating, then straight to Universal. Wednesday, I went into the office, Kara went to the dance competition, and Thomas took Anna skating. Kara didn't get home until 11:30 (after the competition, they went to City Walk, which is why we thought she wasn't going with us Thursday). Thursday, we got up around 5 for Anna's competition. So, I was really looking forward to sleeping in on Friday morning. Then, at 4:50, an electric toothbrush in our bathroom randomly started buzzing, waking both Thomas and I up and I never fell back asleep! Ugh, maybe tonight is the night I can get a full 8 hours (I'd settle for 6 at this point!). Anyway, Thomas and I were both still working all week, with a 6 start time, so it was a crazy, crazy week and I am glad it is over!

We stopped at the gas station right outside Magic Kingdom and had a good fireworks view.

It was nice to spend time with Ashely, Lori (Ashley's mom), and Tyler (her brother). Ashley and Kara were in the same class all 5 years together in Maryland, and it was great to see them together again.

I think this was first grade.

Now

In other news, Luke went to YMCA camp this week and was awarded Camper of the Week! Today, we went to Animal Kingdom, but it was really hot and crowded and we didn't last long.

Photo summary of a few other recent happenings:

We went to Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios on June 30th. 

We had the Mottas over to celebrate Amanda's graduation from high school.

Luke was tired one afternoon and decided he needed to float.

Some Independence Day sparkler fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment