Saturday, December 30, 2023

Christmas and the Week that Followed

As always, Christmas was wonderful. I was super excited and woke up before 5. I started hearing the girls and Luke shortly thereafter. However, Jack and Thomas slept until the appointed time of 645. I saw a couple of posts from friends who have teenagers that slept in on Christmas and I was glad that at least 2/3 of our teens are still so excited that they wake up early.

We opened gifts, had our traditional breakfast casserole and spent the day lounging lazily. We had our big meal on Christmas Eve, so there was no cooking or baking. We played games, ate a lot of candy, and didn't do much else.

The kids were thoughtful in their gifts and were excited to see everyone's reactions to what they picked out. Anna was shocked that Jack got her iPods. Kara got Anna the Lululemon belt bag she has wanted for a very long time. Kara got Luke the complete set of Dork Diaries. Jack got Kara a Lana Del Rey record. Anna got Jack a book from the 1800s and Kara a portable cart that represented an inside joke from our DC trip. You get the idea :) The older kids have to use their own money for presents, so I really think it adds a lot of meaning when they put time and effort into finding the perfect gifts for each other. I also loved my gifts from the kids. When Luke was choosing Thomas' gift he knew he wanted to get him baseball cards. I asked him if he wanted to give Christmas or Halloween themed cards. Luke responded with a thoughtful, "I'll get him both--he deserves it." It made me laugh, as Luke is still at the age where he is not required to shop for, pay for, or do much to actually effectuate a gift. I hope he is as generous when his money is on the line!

Thomas also gave me some great presents, my favorite is a really cool bracelet that has a charm containing a picture of our family. You would never know by looking at it, but you hold it to a light and there it is. In a funny twist, apparently at some point I commented on a "magic beans spinning cube (sort of a rubik's cube type puzzle)" that I wanted. That is how Thomas wrote it in his reminder notes and then when November/December rolled around, he had no idea what I was referring to. So, he got me several gifts that may have matched that description. Of course, I have no recollection of saying anything about a magic bean puzzle, so I can only assume he found the right one :) I crocheted Kara a purse and really enjoyed the process of making a gift for someone. I may try and do something similar next year. For their big gifts, Luke got a device that measures bat speed; Kara got an iWatch; Jack got an upgraded saxophone (if it ever gets delivered...); Anna got an iPad; I also got an iWatch and Thomas also got an iPad. 

Everyone sits in the same spot each year. If you try and move, someone will get mad.



Anna was so surprised Jack got her Airpods, it warranted an immediate hug.

Wearing the Tigers sweatshirt Jack gave him, while opening another from me.

The aftermath.
This makes it seem like it was all about the gifts, which of course, it never is. I loved everything everyone picked out for me, but that is not what wakes me with excitement. I was excited to spend the day together and to see the reactions to the gifts I (for Thomas and we for the kids) picked out. I love the music and the lights and the movies and the food and the family time. Christmas Day represents the entirety of the season in one amazing day. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Kori, it is so hard as our parents age and need help. Finding a safe place that is affordable is truly a challenge. Sending positive vibes and prayers to get everything settled.
    I'm glad you had a wonderful Christmas Day with your family. I enjoy watching them grow up. It is fun to watch our children (and for me now, grandchildren) grow and think about gifts to give to family members and friends.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete