Sunday, April 14, 2024

Another Busy Week

Monday was eclipse day. We only had about 60% coverage, but it was still fun to see. The schools were afraid of kids looking at the sun, so they canceled all after school activities. Luke still had baseball practice that night, but it was so nice to have a day off from driving to the high school! 

The crescent-moon-like shadows were really fun to observe.


It was also a big day at work for me. I got to close the window on a major action that has been pretty time-consuming. I know I have written about work ebbing and flowing. Well, as I've mentioned (perhaps ad nauseum) I was in a flowing period for a long time and now it looks like I should have some ebbing. In an ideal world, the work would be steady, with enough tasks to fill the day without being overwhelmed. I don't really like when work is slow, but I also don't like when it is super busy. In Maryland, I worked in a couple of practice areas, which was really nice. When one area was slow, it was easy to take on more work in another area to fill the days. Here, I only do one thing and it is really cyclical. And, it is hard to anticipate. I had three simultaneous actions, but none were planned to overlap (hence the extreme flow that made me miserable for the past 8ish months). Now, I can look forward to a hopefully quiet, but not too quiet, summer :)

In other work news, our supervisor is leaving. Thomas and I really like our boss and are not excited about having someone new. But, there is no sense in worrying about what hasn't transpired. Just some foreshadowing for our future. I can't wait to revisit this in a year and see how it turns out!

Tuesday was back to the track/lacrosse routine. Wednesday, the girls had their final lacrosse game. As mentioned, they were the last seed in the district and had to play the first seed. They lost something like 25-4. The other team was amazing and it was fun to see their advanced moves. Our girls knew they were going to lose by a large margin, and I was super proud of how they handled themselves. They never gave up, stayed positive, and played hard the whole game. 


Thursday was a stormy day. Jack's track and Luke's baseball were canceled. Friday was fun--after school the girls, Thomas and I went to Epcot to see Jo Dee Messina. She sings some of my favorite songs and put on an amazing show. The concerts only last about 35 minutes, but I think she did 6 or 7 songs and sounded great on all of them. Thomas and I had fun singing along. 

Thomas and I were waiting for the theater to open and the girls texted they were on Spaceship Earth. So, somewhere in there are Anna and Kara.

This weekend, Thomas and Luke went to a baseball tournament in Daytona Beach. They had a very weird day. I know I've written about their being different tournament levels (GOB, USSSA, Perfect Game, etc.). But, did I write about their being different levels within the levels??? Well, at USSSA, there are. Two, I think, and we usually play the lower one. But, it was full, so at this tournament we played the high level. They lost their first game 17-4. They were pretty close until the 3rd or 4th inning and then just fell apart. Then, the next game, they won 15-0, in one inning. That team only had 8 players and apparently their best 3 were all absent and they just fell apart. Very weird day. For Sunday, they lost their first game and that was it for the tournament. 

While they were in Daytona on Saturday, I was home on chauffeuring duty. The girls spent the day volunteering at a Special Olympics event. They both said it was a good experience. I dropped them off at 8. Jack went to a birthday party at Andretti racing. He had a fantastic time and loved it. I dropped him off at noon, then went back for the girls at 4, then we drove and picked up Jack. I think I spent about 3 hours in the car doing all the back and forth shuttling. I did have some home-alone time, which is rare and I started a new book (Endurance, another non-fiction shipwreck adventure). That night was the neighborhood Spring Fling, so we went and got our free dinner. They had a bunch of bounce houses and live music. Luke enjoyed the bounce houses. The rest of us, except Kara, who opted to stay home, enjoyed the food.

1 comment:

  1. That's kinda cool the neighborhood does that. Ours only has 7 houses on the lane ...so there's no way it would happen here lol

    And yeesh that was a big loss for sure with the girls game ..but good job on the sportsmanship

    With summertime coming up...I always miss ya guys!! Xoxox

    -Summer

    ReplyDelete