Monday, September 9, 2024

HHN, Mattress Shopping, XC

Tuesday I went to a meeting at Jack's school. The band is going to DC for a few days in March. They are taking buses and only staying 3 days (plus two travel days, for a total of 5 days/4 nights). They will be doing some fun stuff, but overall it isn't the itinerary I would have chosen. Shockingly, no one asked for my input. Jack wants to go and I am sure he will have a great time. I considered being a chaperone, but there is no way I can do a 13-hour bus ride without getting sick, so I am out. I don't think Thomas has any interest in chaperoning, but we shall see.

There was also a meeting for 5th grade parents. It wasn't super useful. They talked about 5th grade testing. Luke is an excellent test taker, so that isn't something we worry about. They talked a lot about cell phone etiquette and issues they are seeing. Luke doesn't have a call phone. They talked about drama that seems to arise among 5th grade girls. Luke is a boy. You get the idea. 

The high school had club rush. I think Anna and Kara found one or two they are going to try and join.

Kara and I went to HHN for a few hours on Wednesday. We did a few houses and were home by 7. We went back for a longer night on Friday with our neighbors, Bevin and Beya. Beya, who is 10, was really excited about going and since Kara and I are experts, we happily planned out the night. I felt some pressure to make sure we were able to do everything Beya was excited about, fortunately, it all worked out. We did 7 houses, had dinner and themed snacks, and rode Gringotts. It was a rainy night, so crowds weren't terrible. And, if you think they take it easy on kids, you'd be wrong. They definitely seemed to target Beya! She walked in front with Kara and Bevin and I loved seeing all the scare actors jump out at them. Beya was a trooper and told Kara she wants to go again with her next year :)


Friday night was another football game and Jack was there with the band. We again had permission to pick him up early. Unfortunately, the game was delayed for weather, so early wasn't really all that early. Thomas was able to get him home by 1015, not much earlier than Kara and me. But, Thomas still took him to his cross-country meet on Saturday morning, they left the house around 515. The lack of sleep didn't hurt Jack, he set a new personal record and finished in 19:44! I can't believe he shaved another 37 seconds off his time. We are super proud of how hard he is working and the improvements he is making. His team finished the meet in first place. 


Saturday, I took on the task of ordering Anna a mattress. Hers is old and the boxspring is broken and a replacement it is way overdue. Friday afternoon, Thomas took her to a mattress store where we were shocked at the prices. She picked out one that came to $1700 for a twin and it wasn't even one of the "expensive" ones. I knew she had talked about getting a Purple mattress since Thomas and I got ours. I also knew that they were a lot less than $1700, even if we had to buy a new base. So, Saturday I gave her the option of a Purple mattress or going to some different stores. She chose the Purple and now we are anxiously awaiting its arrival.

After cross country, Thomas took a quick nap and then headed out with Luke for baseball. I was tired and cranky and opted to stay home. I also did a quick power nap and then was far less cranky and tired. But, I was glad I didn't go. The games were behind schedule and then they only played a few innings before they got rained out. They drove about 75 minutes, sat around for over 2 hours and then played for about an hour before driving home another 75 minutes. At least they won.

They were back at the field on Sunday. They had a compressed schedule, so it was single elimination. And, it was not the Vipers day. They did not play well. Luke had some errors in the field and did not bat well and his team was not much better. So, they played and lost and were home in time for Sunday night tacos.

Meanwhile, Anna and I went shopping for a new comforter. What good is a new bed if you don't have a new blanket? Easy enough, right? Ha! We went to 3 different stores, with no success. We came home for a bit, then went to Kohl's and she found one she liked. We bought it, got home, Anna put it on her bed and decided that it didn't match her room. Back to Kohl's we went where she chose a quilt that she is now happy with. 

Random picture from one of my walks with Anna this week. Our neighborhood is really pretty:


1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Jack! Curtis went to an invitational up in Annapolis Saturday and had to catch the bus at 5:30 so he was up in the 4s and I told him I think he is in the wrong sport. :) But he also set a PR so maybe there is something to being up and running early?

    ReplyDelete