Sunday, January 12, 2020

January Resolutions and Other Nonsense

For January, I have made some resolutions and actually began taking some positive steps toward achieving them. First, I want to get healthier. My start for this one is to give intermittent fasting a try. I downloaded the Life app and have done 16-18 hour fasts 8 days in a row. I like it because it is easy, flexible and if I like it, I could stick with it. There are supposed to be a lot of health benefits, so we shall see how it goes. I have also retired the scale. I will still do a monthly check-in, but I am going to try not to worry about it for now and instead focus on making better food choices.

Next, I decided it was time to volunteer. One of Thomas' Maryland coworkers told him about a place called Give Kids the World. It is an amazing place where children who had or have a critical illness get to spend a magical week with their families enjoying Orlando attractions. They allow volunteers as young as 10. Anna, Kara and I went to orientation and we have signed up for a few opportunities in the coming months. My goal is once a month for 2020. GKTW is a very popular place, so it is harder than I thought to find openings for all three of us together, particularly when we are available (after school and work and on weekends, which is when most other people are also available). But, the girls and I are excited. Thomas is going to volunteer as well. He couldn't go with us on to this orientation, since someone had to stay behind with Luke.

That is it for resolutions for now. But, I am happy and hopeful that perhaps these will be positive changes that will stick.

Friday night we went to Epcot. They are going to be closing Test Track for refurbishment for about 6 weeks. It is a family favorite, so we decided to go ride. We also did Spaceship Earth, which is going to be closing soon for 2.5 years! It is another one we all enjoy. We don't know when, but we will be sad to see it go. It is nice to be close that we can go for just a few hours.

We were going to go to Hollywood Studios early to try and get a boarding pass for Rise of the Resistance, the new Star Wars ride, but Luke is sick. He had a high temperature last night of 103. It came down a bit with Tylenol. He also had a headache and said he just didn't feel well. I was worried he had the flu. I got up and checked on him in the middle of the night and was relieved he didn't feel quite so hot. But, this morning, his temperature was still high, so I took him to an urgent care. He tested negative for flu, so we will just wait it out.

It has been really warm here all weekend. The average temperature is 71 for this time of year, which would be wonderful. But, it has been in the mid-80s the past several days. Which, honestly, I don't mind. But, we keep waiting for a cooler day to go hiking. Last weekend was nice, but Thomas was sick. And, this weekend was a bit hot and humid (plus Luke was sick). The girls are enjoying it, because it makes it easy to go swimming. It is so funny to me that they are swimming in January. But, that is life in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment