Monday, August 8, 2022

End of July

Jack's second week of band camp went well. They learned the show routine and I think Jack enjoyed it more than the first week. The family Kara babysits for was out of town, so she enjoyed a quiet week at home (she doesn't babysit everyday, but she does babysit quite a bit). Luke went to camp at the YMCA. Anna worked on her online classes and painting. She bought some challenging paint by number canvases at the start of summer that she has really enjoyed. I did the Harry Potter puzzle I got for my birthday, which was missing a piece. I looked at the reviews and saw it was a somewhat common problem, so I didn't feel too crazy about it. It was relaxing to do an easy 500 piece puzzle.

Anna's paintings, 3 complete and 1 in progress.
499 piece puzzle

Saturday afternoon Thomas took Anna ice skating and then to the high school for freshmen back-to-school. Jack went too, although he had accomplished most of the tasks during band camp (mainly getting his laptop). They had gotten their id cards at freshmen orientation, which saved a ton of time.  Anna got her laptop and then I guess they walked the school. They didn't have a meet the teacher portion. But at least they know where most of their classes are (everything except the portables). The school is going to be super crowded this year.  I can't find the exact numbers, but I know they are expecting 4400 students and I think it was built for 3200. Next year will be even worse (so much building in our area!), then the relief school will open in 2024. 

Because of the overcrowding and bus driver shortage, many buses are doing two runs. Jack and Anna are getting hosed, as they are on the first run in the morning (6:15 pickup!) and the second run in the afternoon. I sent a nicely worded e-mail complaining, as I don't think it is fair that they have to sit around at school in both the morning and the afternoon while the bus does its second runs. I certainly understand the necessity and that hard decisions had to be made, but I think it should have been one or the other and not both. They responded that they had to base it on location, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me for the morning run, and that they will reevaluate as they hire more drivers and see how many kids are actually riding the bus. Kara is also impacted as she is on a second run in the afternoons, which means she won't get home until 5pm!

I am pretty sick of how overcrowded everything is in Florida. I guess I can't complain too much, as I am part of the problem for moving here. But, we honestly thought the area we were moving into was fairly well established, after all our house was built in 2003. We knew there was still going to be construction south of us, but it is everywhere. Including land we were told they couldn't build on because of the airport. And, most of the building is massive apartment complexes. In the 3 years we have been here, there have been 4 giant complexes built within 3 miles of our house. Traffic is insane during commute times!

Okay, enough complaining. Onto a happier note. On Friday night, Sunshine called and asked if I was free on Saturday afternoon for a birthday surprise. We had already planned on Thomas doing the high school stuff, so I was available. She picked me up at 2:30 and we went to "Nailed It" and had the best time making welcome signs. I absolutely love how mine turned out! Then, we went to Red Lobster for dinner. It was a really fun afternoon/evening. Sunshine is definitely one of my favorite friends and I loved spending the day with her!


1 comment:

  1. I want to do a sign like that so bad. I think I'm going to have q board qnd brush party for my bday -- Summer

    ReplyDelete