Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas 2011!

This was our most fun Christmas yet.  The kids, especially Jack and Anna, were old enough to finally get the concept of Santa.  They loved all of the hoopla of the holiday, and it was incredible to see it through their eyes.  For the first time, they participated in the countdown.  They loved our ornament that tells us a different thing each day about Santa's preparation, and they especially loved the adventure of trying to find Twinkles, our resident Elf on the Shelf, each morning (and who met a tragic fate in our air conditioning vent, but was stealthily replaced after a trip to Target). 

Thomas and I are definitely Christmas people.  We can't wait to decorate and listen to Christmas carols, and of course, buy presents.  We tend to overdo it, just a little.  But, we try to keep in mind all the wonderful things that Christmas represents--we make charitable gifts, we talk about Jesus' birth, and it's impossible not to get swept up into the joy of the holiday.  We also try to make sure our kids know everything is not about them.  We have them pick out presents for other people, and they actually really enjoyed seeing us unwrap the gifts they picked out.

Christmas Eve we made cookies and watched The Santa Clause.  We let each kid choose the best cookie for Santa, and put it out with milk.  We also sprinkled some reindeer food on the lawn.  Then, it was stories and bedtime.  Oh, and we laid down the Christmas morning ground rules--no getting out of bed until we came to get them in the morning (there was a bathroom exception).

The rule was not a big deal for our three, in fact I think they may have still been sleeping at 7:15 when we went in for them, but was torture for my 10-year-old nephew and 7-year-old niece.  I was actually awake on and off throughout the night, I was so excited to see everyone's reactions to their gifts that I couldn't sleep.  Everyone got what they wanted from Santa: Kara--another Mr. Potato Head (actually, a Toy Story themed set of potato heads); Jack got his sled, and Anna received her jewelry box and "jewels".  They each got some other individual gifts, and then there were several addressed to the "Wilson Children," like a castle playhouse, and a large pop-up house, along with some smaller things like Play-doh and paints.

Thomas is very creative when it comes to gift giving.  He has yet to disappoint me in our 9 (married) Christmas' together.  But, this year he really went above and beyond.  He gave me a ton of presents, the best was a jar labeled "366 Reasons I Love You."  He handwrote 366 things on pieces of construction paper and placed them in the jar.  I get to pull out one a day starting on January 1st.  Among other things, he also gave me an early addition copy of my favorite book, Pride and Prejudice.   Hopefully, he was as pleased with his gifts as I am with mine.

The day flew by.  We had breakfast, and just enjoyed each other's company all day.  Thomas and I made the Christmas dinner.  My sister usually cooks for our family in Florida, so I thought it would be nice for her to have a holiday off.  It was a surprisingly calm, relaxing day.  The grown-ups chatted; the kids played with the occasional break to sit and listen while we read all of the (many) new books they received.  Unfortunately, my sister and her family had to leave around 4, since my brother-in-law had to be back at work on Tuesday.  It was really sad to see them go.  In fact, I am still a little sad and have felt their void these past couple of days.  It made me wish we lived closer to family. 

The tree right before we got the kids up.

Everyone getting ready to open their first present.

Me with the hat and socks Jack picked out for me.  Note Kara wearing her new backpack in the background.

More unwrapping.

Finally enjoying some of the mornings spoils.  I think they stayed in pajamas all day.

So far, the castle is a big hit with all three of them.


Definitely, our best Christmas!

1 comment: