Saturday, February 25, 2012

Flashback Saturday--A Truly Ironic Moment

I cannot remember what triggered this memory, but it remains one of the funniest ironic moments I've ever been privy to: 

Shortly after my college graduation, I received my first (and only—knock on wood) speeding ticket.  To avoid points on my driver’s license, I decided to go to traffic school.  Orlando offered a comedy traffic class, which actually seemed like fun.  I had a friend who had also received a ticket, so we decided to go to Orlando and make a day of it.  Unfortunately, the regular instructor cancelled, so there was no comedy involved, only traffic.  We watched the videos about driving drunk and learned that high speeds can kill.  Typical driver’s ed stuff.  I also remember a video that talked about merging from a stop-sign or traffic light.  The point of the video was to make sure you verified, not only that there was no oncoming traffic, but also that the driver in front of you had cleared out.  There was a picture of a driver who rear-ended a car that had started to pull out, and unbeknownest to the person behind him (who was too busy monitoring oncoming traffic to verify the lead car had successfully merged) changed him mind.

Traffic school was very boring, but it was at a Perkins, so hopefully I enjoyed the pancakes or something.  Anyway, when my friend and I finally got out of there, we cautiously started our drive home.  As we were merging onto the highway we noticed something in the right lane—an accident that looked exactly like the one in the picture!  Very clearly, a car had started to pull out, changed its mind and been rewarded with a nice bump from behind.  And, as we were commenting on how funny that was (not because we were glad to see someone pulled over, but because it was just like what we talked about at traffic school) we saw the driver get out and… it was a fellow student from traffic school!!!  Oh the irony!  We laughed the whole way home and it turned out that the non-comedy traffic school was pretty entertaining after all.

For a more recent funny moment:  we were talking with the kids about what they want to be when they grow up.  It started with Jack, who said that he was going to be a lawyer, or maybe a waiter.  Anna chimed in that she wanted to be a doctor.  Last was Kara, who emphatically announced, "I'm going to be a cat!"  Love those kids!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment