Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Doctor, Soccer, and a Kara Story

There has been a small amount of excitement in the Wilson house.  This is another catch-up kind of post, but I am going to start with the most recent events and work my way backward.

Scene, quiet time (since no one naps).  It is a shortened quiet time because the kids were playing so nicely that their kindly mother decided to limit it to just one hour, instead of their usual two.  30 minutes in, Jack comes tearing out of his bedroom.  A regular occurrence, his mother waits to hear what excuse he will present.  Much to her surprise, he has come up with something new:

Jack:  There's something in my ear.
Mom:  What do  you mean?
Jack:  Just what I said, duh.  I put a sticker in my ear and I can't get it out.
Mom:  Seriously?  <sigh> Come here.

The mother proceeds to use tweezers to remove a crumbled-up sticker from Jack's right ear.  She breathes a sigh of relief to have averted more trouble and sends him back to his room.  As he runs off:

Jack:  <mumbling> There's one in my other ear too.
Mom: <alertly> What was that??
Jack: <pausing> Ummm, nothing <runs away>
Mom: Jack, get back here.  What did you say?
Jack:  <stammers ineligibly>
Mom:  Did you say there's a sticker in your other ear?
Jack: Yes.

The mother looks in his left ear and isn't surprised to see that this one is buried deep.  She attempts to retrieve it, but is unable.  After a quick internet search yields no amazing strategies for removing small pieces of paper from a preschooler's ear she calls the doctor.  They instruct her to bring him in.  She places a call to her husband, who then leaves work early to assist.  In the meantime, she tries again to remove it, both with tweezers and then, has the brilliant idea to try and suction in out with the vacuum.  Of course, the brilliant idea didn't extend to first emptying the vacuum canister, so after the suctioning attempt, when she doesn't see it is his ear, she is forced to go through the dirty dusty vacuum contents hoping to find a sticker of a drum.  The search yields no conclusive evidence.  Fortunately, at this moment, Jack's father comes home.  Using the "flashlight in the mouth" method, he confirms that there is still something there.  Unable to remove it, they continue with a divide and conquer plan.  Daddy takes Anna and Kara to Anna's dance lesson (where she gets in trouble again, this time for having spit dribbling out of her mouth (no further details available) and has her hand stepped on by the instructor--also again.

Mom and Jack arrive at the doctor's office at 5:30.  Sick call is from 5:00-7:00 and the place is packed.  There are about 8 people in front of them (and that was after 2 left, scheduling appointments for the following day).  At 7:30, they finally get to see the doctor.

Scene: the doctor's office.  The doctor is nearing the end of his 12-hour shift.  He has at least 8 more patients to see before he can call it a day and while professional and nice, his manner is still somewhat rushed.  Jack, cooperative at first, but mounting pain and irritation increase his anxiety as the object remains lodged.  It is possible that a trip to the hospital is in their future.  Mom begs him to hold still, tries to distract him with conversation, but it isn't enough.  Finally, a nurse is called in, oddly enough she had a conversation with the mom earlier about having to hold down a child to get a strep culture.  And she thought that was bad...

Doctor: Jack, the nurse is going to give you a hug.  Mom--hold his arms and legs.  Nurse, keep his head still.
<lots of probing in Jack's ear with various objects.>
Jack: I DON'T. WANT. ANYMORE HUGS.  STOP IT.  <crying, screaming>
<Repeat several time,  with Jack uttering varying statements showcasing his discomfort and anger.>

Mom is unable to calm him down.  After approximately 10 minutes, the doctor is able to remove a small, bloody, crumbled up sticker from Jack's ear.  They are given a prescription for ear drops to prevent infection (from all the scratches caused by the removal).  It is now 8:00.  Mom takes Jack to Rite Aid to fill the prescription and Jack says he is agreeable to a dinner of snacks from WaWa.  After a trip to WaWa where Jack chooses a peppermint patty and tootisie roll for his dinner (and Mom buys him a cheesestick and banana to go with it), they are on their way home.  The ordeal is over.

Okay, so that took a lot longer than I anticipated.  Of course, I could have written it in one paragraph in a different format, but where's the fun in that?  Jack is fine now.  He learned his lesson and I had him tell the girls all about it, so hopefully that will be the only doctor visit for object from ear removal.

In other news: the kids have had 3 soccer games.  They are doing progressively better.  They aren't quite lighting up the field (understatement of the year), but I think one of them may have kicked the ball last week.  Or, maybe it just bounced off Anna's shin?  Okay, that is a (slight) exaggeration.   Anna is a really good sport, and Thomas and I are both really proud of the positive attitude she has each week.  She is always willing to go out onto the field and does not complain about anything.  Unfortunately, she is somewhat timid and seems to avoid the ball.  Although, she is getting better about that.  Jack does a good job cheering for his teammates, but is generally reluctant to go onto the field.  The first game he had significant trouble not using his hands, and is doing much better in that regard.  He often declares that he wanted to kick the ball and gets mad that the other kids aren't succumbing to his desire.  It is fun to see them progress and I can't wait to see what they are like by the final game of the season.  Both have indicated that they don't want to play next season, but they seem okay with sticking it out until the end of this cycle.  Thomas is the coach and he is doing a fantastic job.  The overall skill-level of the team has already increased and while soccer isn't his favorite sport (or even in the top 5), I think he enjoys the coaching.  He is really hoping that one (or more) of them wants to play t-ball in the future.




One more story.  I posted this on Facebook, but it is my favorite thing anyone has said in a while.  When I got Kara up one morning (a week or so ago), the first thing she said to me was, "I like your shirt, Mommy.  It's very nice."  I was wearing a faded blue-striped shirt.  I thanked her and we went on with the day.  Around lunch time, she got upset with me over something.  I can't remember what, but she told me "I'm not going to be your best friend anymore."  After that didn't appear to faze me, she then stated, "and, I don't like your shirt, either."  It was hilarious!  My laughing was probably not what she was going for, but I just couldn't help it.

5 comments:

  1. Great stories....keep them coming. Never a dull moment at your house! ~Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! When Christian was little (6 maybe?) he had a mysteriously large ball of wax in his ear. I could see it, but never get it out and I tried everything! (except taking him to the dr, of course, cause I'm not that good of a mom!) anyway, my friend came to visit and took a stab at it, only to pull out at least an inch long piece of paper shaped like his ear canal. All the repeated attempta to get it out and he never told me about the paper! Kids are so crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading the stories about your family. It seems like yesterday my girls were little and we were going through our own adventures. You'll have to ask Sarah about the pearl in her nose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the first weekend we lived in md we got to go to the ER for not one but two of the children. H had a UTI, unfortunate but not unusual. G had an earache that turned out to be a piece of a spounge stuck deep in her ear, which we nearly avoided a trip to the ENT to remove.
    The week before we moved to MD we got to take Grace to the doctor to remove a plastic pony bead from her nose, again the doc wanted to send us to the ENT. I refused. He suggested I put my mouth over hers and blow it out (all I got for my efforts was a face full of snot). Eventaully he got it out.
    ....another time....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad to know that we aren't the only one. Lana and Michelle--those stories are horrible (and yet so very funny!). Debby, I hope I remember to ask Sarah, sounds like a good story. Gretchen--will do!

    ReplyDelete