Monday, May 7, 2012

My Favorite "Can't Keep a Secret Story" Ever!

We spent a lot of time doing yard work this weekend.  As in pretty much 2 out of 3 complete days (it was  a 3-day weekend for Thomas).  Thomas gave the deck underside a much needed cleaning.  I did more weeds and mowing.  Then Thomas tackled the biggest project of all, the removal of the stump/roots of the fallen tree (a leftover from the Hurricane last year).

It took Thomas' hours to get the tree done.  And, Anna stayed by his side the whole time.  She brought her little shovel over and kept up a continual conversation while "helping."  It was very sweet.  Jack tried to pick up a mouse that came running out, and they also saw a black widow spider.  It was a very eventful exercise.

So, what is this story you may ask?  After the stump and roots were removed, I started to throw some of the dirt into the large hole.  Jack stopped me.  Thomas said to just leave it and then Jack mentioned there was a secret.  Being the kind of person I am, I immediately began to press my 4-year-olds for details (Kara was playing on the swingset).  Anna immediately told Jack to not say anything, reminding him that it was a suprise.  I jokingly asked if it was a secret or a suprise?  Here is the conversation that followed:

Anna to Thomas: Can I whisper something in your ear?
Thomas: Sure
Anna whispering: Can I tell her it's for Mother's Day.
Thomas: If you really want to
Anna matter-of-factly: It's for Mother's Day
Me:  Okay, well if it's for Mother's Day, I won't ruin the surprise by asking for...
Anna interrupting:  IT'S A TREE!
Jack: ANNA!!!  You weren't supposed to tell.
Kori and Thomas: hysterical laughter

Let me just say it again--I love my family!  It was absolutely hilarious to me that Anna interrupted my acquiescene to the keeping of the secret by revealing the surprise, especially after she chastised Jack for saying too much!  And, I am excited for a new tree.  Maybe an apple or a pear tree?

And, as a soccer update, the kids did infinitely better on Saturday.  In fact, Jack almost scored a goal!  They both ran hard after the ball and got into the thick of things.  It was so fun to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment