Sunday, November 25, 2012

Black Friday and Hearth and Home

I debated whether or not to go shopping on Black Friday this year.  There were a few small things that appealed to me, but I wasn't in the market for anything major.  Most years, I just go when I wake up.  Usually, I am a bit excited and wake up early and get there just as the first wave of people are leaving.  Since I have never been in the market for the most popular items (electronics) this method serves me well.  My mother and I always enjoyed going out together, probably because our tradition was to go to McDonalds after hitting up Walmart.  Anyway, this year, I didn't go until after we all had breakfast and were ready for the day.  It was about 9.  I went to JC Penney in search of an $8 personal blender--I was not surprised that none were available.  I did get the kids some nice $4 shirts though.  Then, on to Target.  I bought the Ninja, some scooters for the girls, some games, and a few other things.  I left everything in the car and went home to get the kids to go to Hearth and Home at St Mary's City, a tradition we began last year.

When I got home, I realized the Ninja did not contain the personal sized blender I was hoping for, so I returned it.  I was the only person actually making a return on Black Friday.  The girls saw the scooters in the back of the van.  I told them they were to donate to kids without toys.  They all said that wasn't necessary because Santa brings everyone toys.  It is hard to teach Christmas compassion when they throw the Santa Logic at you.  I saw some different scooters on Amazon for a comparable price, so I may get those for the girls and have them drop the ones I already bought in a Toys for Tots box.  We usually get Toys for Tots gifts, so this should work out.

After the return, it was on to Hearth and Home.  I don't know why this event is not more popular.  We love it there.  They have people in character dress discussing what life was like when Maryland was first settled.  There are games for the kids to play and other activities, including people cooking the way they would have in the 1600s.  Jack's favorite exhibit is The Dove, a recreated 1634 trade ship.  There are several buildings rebuilt where their predecessors once stood.  I like seeing the printing press (also a very impressive recreation) and the Smith's Ordinary, a hotel where 12 people would have slept in a single room, many sharing mattresses--a Hampton Inn it is not.  There is a church, a Woodland Indian  area and lots of other things to see.  It was a beautiful day and we all enjoyed being outside and walking from place to place.  Unfortunately, it appears that all my pictures are focused on the children, as opposed to the beautiful recreations and atmosphere.

Making spice bags.

on the Maryland Dove

Kara and Anna on the Doves beds.  

Playing a ring toss game.

Making Rosemary sprigs "candy"

Inside the Ordinary

In the Woodland Indians area.

Anna calls this picture "the one where Kara is an angel."

Another game, in the (way) distance is the church.

Last game--bowling.  They played this one for quite a while, patiently taking turns.

No comments:

Post a Comment