Monday, December 10, 2012

A Day in the Life of the Wilsons

I know of several people that blog every day, or close to it.  My life is no where near that exciting and my thoughts lack the profoundness that such an endeavor would require.  However, I thought it would be fun to give it a try.  Also, I did not plan this out, so I didn't do anything exciting or out of the ordinary just to have something to write about.  You've been warned.

So, Monday, the 10th of December.  The kids woke up at their usual time (around 7:30).  Kara has a habit of going into Anna's room, turning on Anna's light, and playing with Anna's toys, while Anna is still sleeping.  You can imagine how well this goes over.  As is typical, around 7:40, after their brief altercation, Anna and Kara came into my room to ask if it's time to get up.  I try to make them hold out until 8, which is what we did this morning.

Jack sometimes sleeps until after 8, but this morning I was happy to see that everyone was up and dressed.  Kara was wearing black puppy leggings with a dirty shirt (it had dried yogurt all over it, I'm not sure how it avoided the dirty clothes basket) and a Christmas sweater.  Anna wore a blue summer dress, purple leggings, and a pink sweatshirt.  Jack can't really make those kind of combinations with his wardrobe choices, but he does sometimes put on shorts in the middle of winter, so today I was happy to see him in weather-appropriate clothing.

Since it's December, we began the search for Twinkles, our resident Elf on a Shelf.  Today, he had fallen asleep on a chair, with one hand on the remote control and the other in a bowl of popcorn.  I wonder if he ever actually makes those nightly reports to the North Pole?  Last night he spent time making pictures of himself in the copier.  He's not much of a go-getter.



After a typical breakfast (bagels, nutrigrains, toast, yogurt, fruit, vitamin drinks, etc), I had an appointment to take Jack somewhere.  We also went by the base so I could pick up the case files for Wednesday's docket (my next work day).  While in the car, he got irritated because his voice didn't sound right (he has a cold).  After explaining there was no medicine I could buy that would help, he declared he was done talking...forever.  That lasted about 22 seconds.  After a quick trip to Walmart to purchase some patches for some of Jack's (relatively new) jeans, we were back at home.

Jennifer had given the kids some puzzles, which were waiting for them under the Christmas tree this morning.  Jack did his by himself when we got home.  We took a picture to send to Daddy.



Lunch was hotdogs & pringles (all 3), salad (Anna), and carrots with ranch dressing (Kara) washed down with milk.  Despite the wet conditions, they all went outside for a bit, where Anna and Kara fought over who could ride the skateboard attachment on the swing set.

Then, it was off to preschool for Jack and Anna.  I had given them some money for the Santa's Secret Workshop, but apparently that ended on Friday (they came home on Friday to tell me about it and say that Monday was the last day).  They were disappointed, I was irritated by the lack of communication about the event.  I also wasted a lot of valuable time trying to teach Jack that he wasn't, "wasting his money," by buying presents for Anna and Kara (which by the way was my money, it's not like I made him take it out of his piggy bank).  That was a losing battle.

Kara is an easy child to have home alone.  I traded some e-mails with Thomas while she looked at books.  We had a snack, she colored.  It was a very low-key afternoon, where in retrospect Kara didn't get much attention.

At 3:30, we left to get Jack and Anna, listening to Christmas songs on the way.  We got home, I gave Jack and Anna a snack.  Then, they went into the basement to play.  Jack was bothering the girls by playing "Halloween", which meant jumping out and yelling at them.  After multiple attempts to get him to stop, I gave him the choice of timeout or going to his room.  He stomped up to his room, mumbling all the way and then slammed the door (a big pet peeve of mine).  So, I stomped behind him, also mumbling along the way and gave him another talk on slamming doors.

I made dinner, no one ate it.  I can't blame them, it was pretty bad (cheesy Velveeta skillet meal--just add chicken).  We won't be trying that again.  Now, they are watching their nightly hour of tv, while I type away.  Around 7:30, we will brush teeth, maybe read a book and then hopefully Thomas will call to say goodnight.

And that, my friends, is a Day in the Life of the Wilsons.


2 comments:

  1. Love it! I've always wanted to do a day in the life blog but I don't want to orchestrate some great day, cause that's not real. I like the way you do it. (: also, for the record, I do blog a lot but I do not claim to be interesting or have deep thoughts! (;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds better than what I did yesterday.

    ReplyDelete