Monday, March 4, 2013

First Play and other news

The girls wanted to get dressed up for the theater.
We have taken the kids to the circus and to Disney on Ice (twice), however, we hadn't yet brought them to a play.  When our good friends invited us to come and see a show with them at CSM's children's theater, it seemed like a great idea.  I told the kids we were going to a play with Macy and Braden and they were super excited all week long.  I read the girls the synopsis of the show--which was called Snow White Goes West (Snow White lived in the old west and the wicked Queen was a crooked saloon owner).  Somehow, I must have failed to discuss what a "play" was with Jack.  The day of the play, he was on the phone talking to Thomas and Thomas asked if he was ready to see the show.  Jack, responded, "we're not going to a show, it's a play."  Thomas then explained what a play was.  Jack got an angry look on his face and exclaimed, "well, that doesn't sound fun at all!!!"   Jack had taken "play" literally and was not excited about going to watch a live performance, particularly after we told him no 3-D glasses would be involved.  He wanted to go and play with his friends not sit and watch something!

Fortunately, by the time we got there, he was back to his good nature self.  And, he loved it!!!  In fact, they all did.  The humor was on their level and they loved the singing and dancing.  They are still humming some of the songs and occasionally walking around on their knees, which is what their favorite character "Shorty Dwarf" did (Shorty felt like since his name was shorty, he needed to be shorter than his brothers).
Waiting patiently for it to start,

I showed Kara this picture and commented that her eyes were a little squinty...

so she opened them super-wide!

With the set and stage behind them

After the show, Jack went and gave Snow White a hug, telling her she is his new favorite princess.  Then we all took a picture.


In other news, the kids have almost finished their first session of gymnastics.  They love it!  All 3 of them say it is their favorite thing and their favorite night of the week.  Right now, they are on 2 different nights, which has been difficult for me.  So, next session, I have them all together.  Well, in 2 different classes, but one right after the other.  I am not sure if that is going to be more difficult (entertaining the one(s) who are waiting) or better (only having to drive there one night a week).  We shall see.  In another year, they can all do the same class.  One of the benefits of having kids that are so close in age.

I signed Kara up for preschool next year.  I am hoping she will somehow get into the public one because it has been surprisingly good for Jack and Anna.  Of course, it being free doesn't hurt.  But, honestly, they have gotten a lot out of it and really enjoy it.  I am confident she won't make it into the one near our house which fills quickly with needs-based kids.  But, maybe she can do the one Jack and Anna are at if I am willing to drive her.  I think we won't know until April at the earliest and it is nice to have her enrolled at the private school as a back-up plan.

I bought Thomas' car this weekend.  We have been keeping an eye out for good deals and found a car we liked at Southern Maryland Toyota.  It is a 2009 Camry Hybrid.  They made the process really easy.  I went and test drove it, then left.  The next day, I made an "out-the-door" offer.  They didn't accept it, but called me back a bit later coming pretty close.  So, I went and did the paperwork.  No hard sales, no pressure, it may have been my easiest car purchase ever.

Kara has been going through a difficult stage lately/again.  I am reminded of this because she is standing behind me complaining about what I am making for lunch (kielbasa) and informing me that she "is in charge of this whole house."  I am steadfastly ignoring her.  She just changed her tone and nicely asked me to get down her counting bears.  Fortunately, she gets over a bad mood super quick.

Jack's favorite thing is Angry Bird Star Wars, which Thomas downloaded while he was here.  He also loves to draw and make things  Anna still likes to make up songs and stories for the rest of us.  I really admire their creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment