Friday, June 7, 2013

The Bad and Ugly

What I prefer to share on this blog is the good.  Those happy days when children are kind and well-behaved and life is idyllic.  However, sometimes I am so overwhelmed by a bad day, that I feel I have no choice but to share.  I am hoping that this makes our blog a more well-balanced portrayal of what life is really like in our house; something the kids can read one day with a fond recollection, smiling at both the happy memories and those depicting the less pleasant events that are far enough removed from time to be thought of with a smile.

Back to the matter at hand.  Yesterday was one of those bad days.  Jack got sent to the principal.  Again.  He mooned someone in the lunchroom.  Why you may ask?  "I was just trying to be silly," was the response I received.  I imagine we avoided suspension only because there is just one day of school left.  I consider us lucky.

Funny, without even thinking, I am using the terms "we" and "us."  As you might surmise, I have taken this event rather personally.  I just don't understand.  Between my 2 pre-k'ers, we (there it is again) have had 2 trips to the principal and 3 visits with the guidance counselor.  The other principal visit was Jack running around with some other boys pretending they had guns.  The counselor visits were for rudeness (Anna), meanness (Anna), and anger/frustration (Jack).

I just don't understand what we are doing wrong.  I wish I had not quit working, because I can only blame myself.  At least if they were in daycare, there would be some outside influences I could hang my hat on.  Speaking of which, I have no idea where he got the idea to drop his pants.  I can think of a scene in Robots that all the kids think is hilarious, but there is nothing exposed, just a bottom-shaking and a "nyah, nyah."

When I was younger, I wanted 5 children.  I thought I would be a great parent.  I imagined my children as thoughtful, smart and well-behaved.  Oh, the adventures we'd have!  Now, all I can hope is that we make it through a day without assaultive or embarrassing behavior.

When Thomas was gone, Jack had a terrible time.  He had screaming, destructive tantrums that sometimes lasted more than an hour (multiple times a week).  Thank goodness that behavior has stopped.  But now we are dealing with his lack of impulse control.  Besides being silly, he also tends to be physically aggressive.  Most of the time, it is because he plays too rough.  Less often, it is because he is just mad.  Today, at Chick-Fil-A, he was playing too rough with a girl and it ended up with her on the ground and very upset (I was already on my way to intervene when it reached that point).  We immediately pulled him out of the play area and told him he wouldn't be allowed to return.  We also didn't allow him to get an ice cream cone.  We then sat and talked about making good choices, keeping hands to self, etc.  We went from Chick-Fil-A directly to school. As Jack got out of the car, another kid started racing him to be the line leader.  Jack lost and immediately shoved the other kid.

I used to think that we were good parents (not great like I thought I would be, but not bad either).  I thought I had a good balance of when to react and when to ignore.  Now, I am not so sure.  I hope that he matures out of this behavior.  I hope one day we read this and think, "I can't believe our sweet son ever had trouble with his temper.  I can't imagine him hitting anyone!"

Any thoughts, suggestions, stories from anyone whose been through this are appreciated!

5 comments:

  1. Awww, I think you are doing great! Abby went through a really mean phase... and she just outgrew it I guess? I tried everything and it was so embarrassing! I never taught her to do any of that, yet she was mean. And now Ellie is a little bully. ;) But I guess now that Jack is older, and does know, maybe it is different... but I think it has a lot to do with what he has been through. His Dad had been done for a long time and it affected him. And now he is back and things are different again. I know Abby was affected by us being in the hospital and her sister going through surgery. She often plays like she is dying or being operated on. It kind of hurts to watch her play like that, but I know it is because of what she went through. I've heard great things about play therapy? But I'm sure it is nothing you have done wrong, it is just how he is dealing with what he went through. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone with these experiences. Jaydin was extremely short tempered. A true Gemini, she can be the sweetest thing one minute and the devil in the next. She had problems in kindergarten and first grade as well. She couldn't keep her hands to her self and her behavior was very aggressive towards others. I / we had no clue where she was getting it from. After several trips to the principal's office, her K teacher stepped up and began working really hard with her on helping her learn how to get along. Not easy to do considering there were 30 students in her class and time spent on one child was difficult. But it worked. What she taught her to do was to hug herself. When she would get mad or frustrated she was instructed to stand up, (or sit) take a deep breath and hug her body and count to 5. Repetition of this was key as well as patience.

    Another tactic is / was diversion. In Jaydin's case, she could quickly change her attitude when the teacher would ask for her help with a project. Jaydin just loves loves loves being helpful in class. Any chance to be a "big helper" for a teacher was rewarding to her. Need someone to clean the boards? Take out the trash? Pass out papers? She gladly performed with no hesitation. I truly believed it help to control her tendencies and mold her into a respectful young lady who finally understood that is ok to be angry from time to time. She gradually learned to filter her reactions and understand that with every action brings a consequence,.. Both it good or bad.

    As much as we try, we could never be perfect parents. Trust me...I've threatened to sell or give both of mine away more than once (jokingly if course). If you ask my mom, she'll tell you that this was / is her revenge. She often said to me, "I can't wait for you to have a daughter who was as rotten as you were (I wasn't!) and when you do I will laugh in your face and say I told you so." ha ha

    Of course I would never give her the satisfaction of thinking she could have been right. I'd like to believe that Mothers don't always know everything. Lol

    (Unless of course my mother is reading this and if that is the case, then my last comment(s) would not apply and I'm really kidding. Mothers know it ALL.

    Hang in there. ;) you're doing just fine.

    PS..I really tried hard not to laugh at Jack's mooning incident..but it was funny to picture him doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh honey, it's not you! And jack is a sweet, sweet boy. He'll figure it out. Our pre-k has been good... but not the greatest. Awesome teachers can make all the difference in the world! I've been listening to/reading the calm coach a lot lately - Amy Henderson recommended him. He's great and has a lot of great and reassuring ideas. I just hope you are not feeling down on yourself or your kids. They are all so different and difficult children are just signs of Gods confidence in us as parents, right?! At least that's what I tell myself! Also, we've all been there! Wanna get together and we can all compare our naughty kid/awesome mom stories? I bet we'll all be pretty closely tied!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it is the food that the children eat. There was a boy in the elementary where I worked that the red coloring in the food made him controllable. There is a site called fedup.com.au that discusses the different foods additives, and how it effects our children and their behavior.
    I have been there also with my children just hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for comments everyone. I have been feeling a bit down lately, but we have had a good few days, so that has buoyed my resolve. Cecilia, maybe it is something they eat--I will have to pay more attention. Michelle, I just looked up the calm coach. Is there anything specific you would recommend? I just ordered another parenting book and we instituted a behavior chart (blog entry to follow at some point). I know we will get through this. Well, I keep telling myself we will anyway.

    Thanks for sharing, Donna. It must run in the family, I blame the Wilson genes, because certainly NO ONE on my side ever misbehaved (cough cough).

    Sarah--you are right, it is good to be reminded how much external things can influence our kids behavior. I needed to be reminded of that.

    ReplyDelete