Thursday, August 22, 2013

Back to School for the Class of 2026!

August 21 was a momentous day; Jack and Anna started Kindergarten!  We had been counting down the days with great anticipation.  Unfortunately, there was no back-to-school night or special Kindergarten orientation, which was a bit disappointing.  Nonetheless, everyone was excited.  They loved picking out their school supplies and looking over the lunch menu.  On August 20th, we got to go and see their classrooms and meet their teachers.  They were both nervous about being apart and didn't understand why they couldn't be in the same class.  Anna decided that boys and girls must be in different classes.  I am not sure how long she was operating under this assumption, but when she learned that wasn't the case, she got especially angry. We could have requested the same class for them, but we felt it would be good for them to be separated.  I don't mind that they rely on one another and I like that they can bring each other comfort.  However, they also make each bold.  There was more than one occasion in Pre-K where they got in trouble for "defending" the other (i.e. Anna shouting at her teacher, "you can't talk to my brother that way!").  I also thought it would be nice for them to have their own stories; there were many days where they fought over who got to tell us about something special that happened.

Back to orientation.  Both of their teachers seemed very nice and had warm, inviting classrooms.  We also learned that Anna and Jack's classes would have lunch at the same time.  Jack has to sit at the peanut free table and we got permission for Anna to sit there as well.  They also have recess together.  It makes me feel better knowing that they will see each other during their day.

I was afraid they would have trouble waking up, but everyone was up when I went into their rooms at 7:10. We had laid out clothes the night before and they quickly got dressed and went downstairs for breakfast. Jack ate his usual (enormous) amount.  Anna asked for toast, but couldn't finish it.  She said her tummy was too nervous.  Jack ate it for her.  We were out the door and taking pictures by 7:50.  One of our neighbors was walking by and took the below shot of the 3 of us.


I took lots of pictures.  Pictures of just Jack.  Pictures of just Anna.  Pictures of Jack and Anna.  Pictures of Jack, Anna, and Kara.  We had a good time.



Then, we made our way down to the bus stop.  Let me just say for the one millionth time--I love living in a neighborhood!  There are 5 kids (counting J & A) starting kindergarten this year (there is actually 6, but one of them is going to a private school).  Everyone got to the bus stop early and we did more pictures.


For this one, they let the little brothers and sisters join in.  Kara was a somewhat reluctant participant.  I think she was feeling pretty left out.

Then, the bus arrived.  Anna was still nervous, but also excited.  I think a bit of nervousness finally hit Jack who gave me a big hug and announced he was really going to miss me.  I walked them onto the bus and waved and waved.  I couldn't see Anna, but Jack waved and blew me a kiss.  He kept waving until I couldn't see them anymore.   I didn't think I would be a mom that cried, and I didn't.  However, I did come very close and I felt sad.  Very sad.  I realized it's not about missing them (which I did), because I was excited to have some quiet(er) time, but it was more about the end of one stage and the beginning of another.

Here comes the bus!

They looked so small  :(
After Jack and Anna left, it was just me and Kara.  She was lonely without them.  We did a puzzle together, played, watched some t.v. (something we never do during the week in the middle of the day).  Then, we met Thomas for lunch.  We took Kara to a Japanese Steakhouse.  We thought she would love it and wanted to do something nice, since she was feeling so left-out.  We thought wrong.  She was very scared of the fire. But, she enjoyed the food and the little fan they put in her apple juice and said she would like to go back.

We had Kara's Pre-K orientation (class of 2027 blog to follow) and finally it was time to go and greet J & A.  We were so excited.  I could not wait to hear about their day.  I met them at the door of the bus and they both bounded off excitedly.  



Anna announced, happily, "I LOVED it!!!"  Jack was not quite as enthusiastic, but he had good things to say.  Anna's favorite part of the day was, "going through the lunch line and buying lunch."  Jack liked that he got to play a lot.  They both said their teachers were nice.  Jack already made a frenemy.  He played with a little boy, but then Jack knocked over the boys blocks and the boy told him he was going to "get his 10 brothers to beat him up and wasn't going to be his friend."  We'll keep an eye (ear) on that situation.  Fortunately, Jack didn't seem too bothered.  In fact, this detail was shared well into the evening.

We gave them some options to celebrate: go out to dinner, go out for ice cream,  make cupcakes, or have ice cream sundaes at home.  After some debate, they chose to go to Red Robin.  That is also where they chose to celebrate their Pre-K graduation.  Of course, this one was for Kara too, since she had her orientation and would officially start the next day.  

It was a very eventful, exciting and emotional day.

1 comment: