Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Spring Break 2016: Tuesday and Wednesday

n Tuesday Thomas took Kara to another Tigers game. This time they were playing the Blue Jays and the stadium was overridden with Canadians. Kara was the only kid who wanted to go and she really enjoyed the alone time with her Dad. She kept score, using a notepad and writing down the speed of the pitch whenever anyone scored a run. She may create a new baseball statistic with that method. Thomas bought her a Spring Training hat and they had a great time. They sat in the bleachers again, surrounded by the Blue Jays fans. Thomas said the rumors about Canadians were true and the people around him were super friendly.


Kara and Thomas both got a bit sunburned, but still enjoyed their time at the game together.

Meanwhile, I went to lunch with my sister and brother. We went to my favorite Japanese steakhouse, Osaka. The service was really slow (we got there at 12 and didn't eat until 1:30), but the food was so good that I didn't mind, plus it was nice to talk with Kim and Kevin. After lunch, I went back to Marta's house and hung out with the kids while we waited for Thomas and Kara. It was a very relaxing afternoon in the midst of a super busy week.

Thomas and Kara got home around 4:45 and we lounged around for about 30 minutes until it was time to meet Debby at Olive Garden. We had a very nice dinner, even Luke was good! Then, we went and dropped the older three kids off at my sister's for their slumber party. This was the first night they've ever spent away from us and not in their own beds (we've gone away). They were excited! The night was made even better by the fact that their cousins just got a WiiU, something Kara and Jack have wanted for a while.

The slumber party went well. Anna especially loved it. Kara felt she missed out on fun activities with Amanda because she spent all her time playing the Wii with Jack and JD. She was ready to go by the time we picked them up and was very cranky, possibly from lack of sleep. My sister had sent me a picture of them eating breakfast at 7:15, which is considerably earlier than they've been waking during our vacation.

After we picked the kids up, we went to Kissimmee State Park and climbed trees, had balancing contests around the playground, and looked for wildlife. It was a beautiful day and it was good to be outside. 

With Marta and Elizabeth at the top of the observation tower.

Everyone liked climbing all the trees

Kara got pretty high...
But, Thomas got higher.

Kara carrying Luke and Thomas carrying Kara.
We had an extremely late lunch and went to my dad's, where Thomas fixed his door and then we walked to the miniature golf course in his neighborhood. Luke was pretty funny, every time we hit a ball he ran to pick it up to give back to us. Finally, we got him interested in his own club and ball and we were able to play.

Golf with Grandpa

He was holding 3 of our golf balls, but when I pulled out my camera he gave 2 of them to me before I could get the picture.

Jack and Luke got tired of golfing and decided it was time to sit and contemplate all of life's mysteries.

After golf, Thomas took the kids back to Marta's and I went to dinner with my dad, sister and brother. We missed my brother Jim, who lives in England and of course, my mom. We were meeting at 5, and my Dad did call-ahead seating. I thought it was very odd that he did so. How crowded is a restaurant going to be at 5pm on a Wednesday? The answer: very crowded! I had forgotten that the population in Winter Haven this time of year is overrun with snowbirds, who tend to enjoy early bird specials. Even with the call ahead, the wait for a table was 30+ minutes, so we went across the street to Longhorn. They don't have any early birds and weren't very crowded. We had a nice dinner, and even managed to discuss politics without any arguing (I can remember one election where we all canceled each other out by each of us voting for a different candidate). My sister then drove me around the some areas of town I hadn't seen yet and I got to see all the growth that has happened since I left. We had a nice conversation and it makes me wish we lived closer. Although, I am starting to feel a bit homesick for Maryland and my routine back home.

My dad and brother Kevin.

My sister and I.  See any resemblance/
Of course, while I was having a relaxing dinner, Thomas was busy dealing with 4 kids, none of whom got much sleep last night, and Luke never napped today. When he got back to Marta's house, no one was home and I had the house key. He managed to jump their 6-foot privacy fence and was able to get in, but then the girls somehow managed to let the dogs out. So, poor Thomas had to chase two dogs through the neighborhood, while still keeping track of Luke and the other 3. His evening was not quite as relaxing as mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment