Sunday, June 26, 2016

Another All about Luke

First day of camp
It has been a busy week for Luke. I signed him for "preschool" next year. Since he's only 2, it would more aptly be called "toddler socialization" or "free time for Mom." He is going to go 3 times a week for about 2 hours. To give him a preview, I signed him for a couple of weeks of their summer camp. His first session was last week. I was nervous for him, but he loved it! We dropped the older kids off at VBS and he wanted to stay with them. But, he was pacified when I told him that I was going to take him to his own camp. He never looked back. Literally. I took him into the classroom, he went over to a bead toy and wouldn't even look up when I said goodbye, he was already too engrossed. So, I am glad he will be going in the fall. I plan on using 2 days for the gym and 1 day to volunteer at the school. I am excited!

He has also had a language explosion. His favorite phrase is "I need". Generally, this is followed by something he wants.
One day, he will learn the difference between a want and a need, but not today Zurg. His most commonly used are:

I need phone (my cell phone)
I need milk
I need food
I need shoes (whenever he wants to go outside)
I need help

Basically, that is all he needs to get by in life.

He also likes to say "my turn," whenever he wants to take over whatever someone else is going (t.v., listening to a song, dancing, etc.). "My turn" is second only to "mine" in Luke's lexicon. He is very independent and likes to dictate whatever is happening around him. For example, if he is dancing, no one else is allowed to dance without his permission. He will no longer let me keep a hand on him while he's riding the carousel, slapping my hand away if I put it in the proximity of his person. He now calls himself by name, but he pronounces his name "Loot".

He can count to 10, if you consider 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 10 counting :) And, he has two television shows he loves--Super Why and Team UmiZoomi. Thanks to Super Why, he knows most of his letters, so I am considering it time well spent.

Thomas was home from work on Friday and so I was going to leave Luke home while I dropped the older kids off at VBS. Luke saw he was about to be left and immediately began crying (I neeeeed shoes). He followed us to the door in hysterics. Thomas then asked him if he wanted to watch Super Why. The crying stopped instantly and he waved and said "bye mom" as he ran to the living room.  The kid loves some Super Readers.

One more story, probably more about Jack than Luke. Earlier in the week, Luke threw a wooden block at Jack. The corner hit Jack in the face and Jack immediately started crying (those suckers hurt!). I was in the other room and heard Jack yelling, "I just really want to hit you right now...but I know I can't." I came to investigate and determined Luke needed to sit in time-out. I put him on the bottom step and he started howling in indignation. After a short time out, I told him to give Jack a hug, which he did. Everything was better. Just one of those little stories to memorialize. It is good to know that Jack can exhibit self-control, even in the event of extreme provocation.

Could anyone ever stay mad at this face?

1 comment:

  1. Luke is growing up so quickly. You are right, how could anyone ever stay mad at that cute face! Enjoy your summer.

    ReplyDelete