Sunday, June 12, 2016

The End of the School Year and Spring Sports and Parenting Woes

June 10th, the eagerly awaited last day of school, finally arrived. The kids were all both happy and sad. It was a good year for them. They liked their teachers and their classmates and were generally happy to go each day. Of course, summer is fun and magical, so they were excited to be done as well. The day was bittersweet for them, and me as well. I enjoy summer break and the freedom from routine, but it can be difficult to find ways to occupy them for the long weeks of summer. I am not one who believes in entertaining my children, but I also don't want to spend all day, every day at home, because that's not fun for any of us. Then, there's the complaining and fighting that seem to coincide with long hours spent in each other's company, although I don't think it's ever as bad as I anticipate. We shall see. Last year, there were 9 weeks of summer and the kids had enough camp, swim lessons, and VBS to occupy all but 3 of them. This year, summer is 10 weeks and only 3 are accounted for--we have no vacations planned and nothing too exciting on the horizon (other than a possible visit from my sister and her family).

The kids all had great report cards. Jack and Anna far exceeded the benchmark for reading speed. In the words of Jack's teacher, he blew it away (benchmark was 111 and he reads 256!). Anna wasn't too far behind. Kara's report card was not specific, it basically just said that she was on target and to keep up the good work. All of our kids love to read, for which I am incredibly thankful. They also did well in their other subjects. So, no complaints on the report card front. I sometimes worry about them getting burned out on school. Third grade starts all the testing requirements. I don't have a problem with testing, but I want my kids to keep enjoying learning for the joy that is gaining knowledge and I think testing can suck the joy right out of that. As said above, we shall see.

One story I want to memorialize--Kara knew on the last day of school there would be a contest in art class. She decided what she was going to draw (an owl) and began teaching herself how to draw it the way she wanted. She practiced daily for about a week. She even did timed trials, so she would be really prepared. Unfortunately, I got involved and made suggestions. I think I was much more harmful than helpful and I kind of took away the uniqueness of her idea. She did not win the contest, but she did a cute drawing, of which she was proud. Jack and Anna had the same contest, but neither one gave it much thought, Kara just really loves to win and is going to make sure that if she doesn't, it wasn't because she didn't put forth the effort.

To celebrate the last day of school, one of our neighbors threw an impromptu pizza. The kids ate pizza and candy, played outside, and watched Zootopia. It was a nice way to end the year.


The girls both wore the same outfits they'd had on the first day. Anna's dress was way too short, so she had to put some long shorts underneath.

Kara's was also shorter. Also, notice how her shirt covered all but 2 buttons at the beginning of the year, and at the end 3 (almost 4) were showing.

Luke insisted on holding the sign, using his favorite phrase "my turn" (it's always Luke's turn!)
Jack wasn't interested in trying to find the clothes he'd worn on the first day. Look how much tanner he was in August!

In other news, the spring sports season has (finally) ended. Anna played her last soccer game yesterday. I think it is a relief to all of us that it is over. While she showed some improvement at practices, games were a bit rough. However, she generally had a positive attitude and she never quit, which I think is a far more important skill. It was difficult at first for me to watch her struggle. In one of my poorer parental moments, she got in the car after a particularly brutal game and asked if I thought she did a good job. She had served as goalie and the other team scored a lot during her time at the post (and during others time as goalie as well, it was a slaughter).  However, she never quit, and kept trying to stop their kicks. Ignoring that crucial fact, I responded with something like, "no you did terrible, the coach had to yell at you after every goal to remind you what to do with the ball. And, even when you stopped the ball, you kept throwing it to their players who would then just kick it right in the goal." Her little face fell and her mood changed and I felt like a jerk. I told myself I was just being honest, but I knew I could have found different words. Later that night, when I tucked her in, I apologized and told her I had focused on all the wrong things and that she did have a good game because she kept trying and never quit. 

She knew she wasn't a strong player and that soccer wasn't going to be her forte, but she never complained about going to practices or games. I felt frustrated because I didn't feel like she gave it 100%. I am not sure what my point is, I don't think either of us experienced any growth from the experience. Although, I was reminded again that I need to be a parent to the child I have, and not try and mold that child into the one I think I should have. And, I do know that I would rather have the kid with the good attitude than the kid who is a great player but a poor sport.

Jack had a very successful season at baseball. He showed a lot of improvement and really enjoyed himself. He is a good hitter and a great defensive player. Kara, unfortunately, did not really enjoy baseball this year. I think I mentioned this, but she grew more and more fearful of batting. She enjoyed being in the outfield, but despised batting. As a result, she stopped being able to hit the ball. I don't think she will play any more baseball or softball, at least not for a while.



1 comment:

  1. It is always fun to see the first and last day of school photos. The kids grow and change so much in one school year. Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete