Sunday, August 20, 2017

August

So, I have no pictures to offer, but we have been cramming lots of fun into our weekends. Last week, we went back to Mount Vernon, this visit we focused on the gardens and the Education Center. And, of course, we had to stop on our way home to get some Krispy Kreme. We will be in trouble if they ever actually build the Krispy Kreme they promised in our county. Yesterday, we went into the city and did the Art and Natural History Museums. I can't imagine living this close to DC and not taking advantage of the city on a regular basis. I think it is one of the definite perks of living here. We had a great time and have found a parking garage we like that makes it easier when we want to drive in. More importantly, the older three kids have gotten much better at museums. They are more tolerant and patient when others want to see something and now that the three of them are such awesome readers, they find things much more interesting. It is fun to watch them grow. Of course, we still have little Luke, who is a typical 3-year old. But, he likes being out and about and as long as he isn't overly tired or hungry, he isn't too awful.

As far as our nonweekend time, the babysitting/work situation is going well. We had to do a sitter switch and were glad that Summer was willing to take over. She has been watching our kids for 5 years now! It's nice for us to have someone we trust so completely to watch the kids. Unfortunately, she can't continue once school starts, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the situation continues to go well. The worst part of working for me has always been the stress of worrying about childcare. And, Thomas and I are still getting used to trying to get everything done in the compressed afternoon/evening hours. Luke will be starting at a full-time preschool when school begins, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that he likes it. But, for now, everything is good and hopefully that trend continues. Luke is definitely the wild card in this situation and I will breathe a sigh of relief if he is happy at his new "school."

In other news, Anna has decided to opt out of STEM. We had a list of things we wanted her to work on during the summer to prepare. Ultimately, she decided it was not worth it. Particularly when she realized that the work over the summer was just a small sampling of what she could expect in the fall. She felt a big sense of relief after deciding to return to HES. She is looking forward to being in a familiar setting with her friends and doing after-school activities and not feeling so much pressure. Thomas and I were never convinced that STEM would be a good fit for her, and honestly it will be a relief to not have the kids at different schools next year. Parenting is a tough business, always wanting to make sure you are making the best decisions!

Speaking of school, back to school shopping has been the bane of my existence the past few weeks. I don't mind buying supplies, but I am not a fan of having to go to three different stores to get them! And, I am still missing a yellow prong plastic folder (I know they have them at Staples--my third shopping location, but I didn't realize Kara needed one too, so I have to go back). I never did find any fine point dry-erase black markers. They must be on every shopping list, because they were sold out at Target, Walmart and Staples. I don't recall it ever being this difficult before. But, I think we will be ready.

It's hard to believe that there are only two weeks left of summer break. I enjoy the lazier pace of summer and especially enjoy not having to pack lunches and backpacks. But, I think everyone is ready to go back and it will be nice to get into our fall routine. Although, we do still have a few fun things planned for our last 2 weeks :)

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe Anna changed her mind about STEM! I bet you are so relieved. I wonder now if Lily's friend will get in? :) I am glad work is going well. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete