Monday, August 27, 2018

Marta and Elizabeth

My sister's family left on Sunday. Thursday, our next guests rolled in around dinner time. It was my good friends Marta and Elizabeth. They arrived just in time for dinner. We had a nice, quiet evening together.

I took Friday off from work and we drove to Kings Dominion. The forecast was vacillating on whether it would rain, but we decided to chance it. And, the gamble paid off. It was the least crowded I have ever seen the park. And, the rain never came. We got to see their Cirque show and walked on every ride we wanted to go on. Almost everyone tried something new. Jack went on their giant roller coaster--the Intimidator. I rode as well and it was too much for me. I like fun roller coasters, not death defying ones. Intimidator was just too fast. But, Jack, Thomas, and Elizabeth liked it. Kara went on her first looping roller coaster and she loved it! Me, Thomas, Jack and Elizabeth all tried out one of their newer rides--Delirium. It was pretty fun too. Luke went on their kid's roller coaster, which is medium-sized and his biggest to date. He has attempted it before, but always chickened out once we got to the front of the line. But, this time, he tried it and he loved it!!! The park was so empty we were the only ones on and we rode twice in a row. He is ready for Splash and  Big Thunder Mountains! All in all it was a perfect amusement park day.

Marta and the kids

Elizabeth, Marta and the kids at the top of the Eiffel Tower

View from the top
Saturday, Thomas, Anna and Elizabeth went into the city to tour the Capitol building. The rest of us went to the movies and saw Hotel Transylvania 3. Sunday, we had a barbecue. I think we just stayed at home and played games. It was really hot outside. They had to leave on Monday. I went into work in the morning but left at lunchtime to spend a few hours with them before they left.

It was a really nice visit. I am very grateful for Marta's friendship. I am not sure if I have written about her before. Shortly after graduating, I went out to lunch with my mom and sister and Marta was there having lunch with some mutual friends. I mentioned I was looking for a job and after telling her my degree was in Psychology she told me to give her a call. She was hiring for the Winter Haven Hospital's behavioral health department. I interviewed and got the job as a case manager. It was my first professional job. Marta was a great boss. She happened to live in the same neighborhood and we went to the same church. Almost immediately, we became very close.

I only worked for her for a year, but the friendship stayed strong. She took me to look at law schools, paying for the entire trip. That trip is what lead me to the decision to attend Washington and Lee, which is where I met Thomas. I would not have been able to go without her. She has been there for the birth of each of our children. Unfortunately, my mom died shortly after Jack and Anna were born. Marta helped fill a giant hole in my (and their lives). I am not sure what we would have done without her. She watched Jack and Anna when Kara was born and watched all 3 when I had Luke. She has been present for many milestones and even came to Tennessee to watch the kids so Thomas and I could have a much-needed weekend away. We often stay with her when we visit Florida (she has more space than my other family members). In other words, she is an integral part of our lives. I like to think that I have also played a large, positive, role in her life, although I am sure the impact is not nearly as great.

We have been close now for almost 20 years. My children call her Grandma Marta. Obviously, no one can replace my mother, but since they have no "real" living grandmother alive, it definitely fills a void. I am so thankful for Marta's friendship. And, I have watched Elizabeth grow from a tiny toddler to a beautiful, smart, woman. We all adore her and I love being part of their lives!

And, just for fun, some ride photos:

Silly pose for the camera.

Jack and Elizabeth can handle the speed.

Thomas' necklace kept whacking him in the face

He liked it more than his face lets on.


No comments:

Post a Comment