Sunday, May 5, 2019

Moving

After an extremely tumultuous few weeks I believe everything is finally in line for the purchase of our house in Orlando. We were supposed to close on April 22, but the bank wouldn't close until we had official offer letters from the Orlando HR office. That office is terrible! There are many steps in the process, some of which they have no control over. However, that doesn't negate the complete lack of communication or response to phone calls and e-mails. In short, the transfer is approved at one office, they send it to Orlando (little HR) who sends it to big HR. Big HR takes 3-5 days then sends it back to Orlando who sends it to security to check our clearances then returns it to little HR and then they can issue the letter. This requires a lot of communication on the part of little HR, which I understand. However, I spoke to them on April 18th and when they described the process, she indicated she would expedite it, so even though we weren't going to make the April 22 date I was confident we would make the new date of May 2.

Well, I learned on May 2 that the paperwork was still at the main office waiting initial approval. And, no one told me! I had talked to them on the 18th and left numerous messages and sent several e-mails--all of which were ignored. If she had told me the status, I could have talked to our local office and asked them to make an inquiry (which is what they are doing now). I could write 20 pages on how frustrating this has been. But, the utter lack of communication is inexcusable. Fortunately, we got our future supervisor to sign a letter explaining the status and the bank agreed on Friday night that we could move forward. So, I believe that May 10th is the new day. Which is great, because the sellers were getting (understandably) very annoyed and in order to give us the second delay, they wanted a non-refundable penalty deposit if we couldn't make the new date (which before we knew the bank would take the letter was unlikely).

Now, we are hoping things go smoothly on both ends. We are set to close on the Orlando house on May 10, and the Maryland house on May 24. It is going to be a stressful few weeks! The kids are going to miss the last 3 weeks of school here. I was willing to stay and make it work for a few weeks, mainly so Jack and Anna could participate in their 5th grade graduation, but they would rather get to Florida as quickly as fast as possible. School there gets out in May and starts in early August, so if they stayed here, it would be a really short summer.

As I'm surrounded by boxes, the reality has finally set in. We are leaving. It is what I want. But, I also don't want to go. I know that is contradictory. But, so are my emotions. I am excited to be close to my family and for a new adventure. However, we have been here for almost 9 years. We have been in this house for almost 7, which is longer than I have ever lived in any house. Ever. And, it is an amazing house in a great neighborhood. And, the kids are happy. They have been in the same school since Kindergarten, something Thomas and I never had. Thomas is happy, he loves his job and Maryland. I love my job and I like Maryland. So, I am also very sad. Happy and sad. Excited and scared. It is a crazy mix of emotions. I just want to get to relieved. It will be a happy day when all the work of moving is done. And, it is so much work. I think people should go through their belongs more than once every decade. Hopefully, I will remember that.

So, wish us luck--all these changes mean we are going to need it!




No comments:

Post a Comment