Sunday, June 23, 2019

A Weekend in Florida: SeaWorld, Movie, Mall, Bikes and Family

I think I mentioned that SeaWorld is only 20 minutes from our house. That made it the obvious choice for our first Florida resident annual passes. It also didn't hurt that it is (by far) the most reasonably priced. They have a nighttime summer event that I was excited to check out. We decided to go Friday night. Thomas and I alternate our work schedules and one of us is off every Friday. That means the other one can go in early and leave early. It was my Friday to work. I went in at 6 and left at 2:30. Kara was on a field trip (to the Mascot games--which she loved), so we were running a little late, but still got there by 5. The first "special" show was at 5:30. It was hot! We met Marta and Frank there (they also got annual passes!). We saw all the special night time shows and had a really good time.

I don't really like seeing the killer whales. I feel bad for them, they are amazing animals and it seems like they deserve more than to live in captivity. I don't feel that way about all the animals--I came to the conclusion it is because the whales are so big, that comparatively speaking, it seems like they are the worst off. Also, I have read a few books that focused on orcas in captivity. Regardless, I think SeaWorld does FAR more good than harm for animal conservation, so I have no problem supporting them. And, it is really nice having annual passes. We don't feel rushed when we go. At one point, we spent about 45 minutes just sitting inside and having a snack and drink to cool off. If we were only there for a day or two, I would feel pressure to wait in the long, hot, lines to make sure we saw everything.

So majestic

The last show had water features, lasers, fire, and fireworks!

On a weird note, as we were walking to the parking lot after the fireworks, a bug flew into Thomas' eye. This happens to all of us on occasion, but this time was very different. He said it felt like someone stabbed him. And, he couldn't get it out. His eye was bright red, it was awful. He was finally able to get it out, but, his eye just kept watering and looked terrible. The next day, he still felt like something was in it. I took a picture to show him and there is a gouge in the corner of his eye. Today is day 3 and he woke up with it all gunked up. Very strange! Hopefully, it heals quickly (or, I convince him to go to the doctor).

This picture doesn't show it very well, but that "scratch" goes pretty far back and it looks bruised around it.

On Saturday, we went to Toy Story 4. It was cute and the theater was really nice. It was our first time visiting a theater with reclining seats. Then, Marta and Frank met us for lunch. They had come to Orlando to visit the temple and were picking up the girls to go spend the night at their house.  After lunch, they headed off to Winter Haven and we went to the Florida Mall. We went to Dick's and picked out bikes for Jack and Thomas, got some ice cream, and walked around the mall.

Lately, we have each had the opportunity to spend time with just two kids (the Maryland promotion and now this). It doesn't seem to matter which combination of kids--two is SO MUCH EASIER! Obviously, I wouldn't trade any of the kids and I am so thankful that they each get to grow up with both brothers and sisters, but let me say it again--two is SO MUCH EASIER! We had fun at the mall and got pizza for dinner.  Thomas and Jack went on a bike ride to test out their new bikes. I went out to work with Luke on riding his bike without training wheels. It was only his second time trying, but he's got it. He can turn corners and stop. He needs to work on starting by himself, but that's it. It was incredibly easy. All our kids learned to ride the summer before kindergarten and it was easy for each of them. I think it is one of those things that if you wait for them to be developmentally ready, there is no stress or difficulty. He is very proud of himself. There are trails and great places to ride near us, so I see lots of bike rides in our future!

Luke on two wheels and Jack on his new bike!
Everyone was hot after riding, so they all jumped in the pool. It is so wonderful to have our own pool! I talked to Anna and Kara who had a super great day with Marta and Frank. We are going to pick them up around 2 tomorrow. Marta invited us to a late lunch, along with my Dad and Maggie, Kevin, and Kim and her family. I am happy to be able to see them. Being close to family was our prime motivation in moving to Florida, so it is really fantastic to see it coming to fruition!

No comments:

Post a Comment