Saturday, June 8, 2019

Orlando, Two Weeks In!

We've been here for two weeks. The first week felt like a vacation. Marta and Frank came and visited on Sunday. Marta brought dinner with her, which was awesome. Monday was Memorial Day. Tuesday I went to work so that I could do the initial orientation and get on payroll. Wednesday, we went to Aquatica--SeaWorld's waterpark. We had an amazing day. They have a cool lazy river, and fun water slides, but the best thing was the Roa Rapids, which is a non-lazy river. No floats are allowed. We all put on life jackets and let the "rapids" pull us along. It was super, super fun and everyone's favorite. Luke was tall enough for most rides and rode everything he could. There was one ride that Anna and Kara backed out of, a racing mat type ride, that he loved. We had a great day.

Thursday was not great. Thomas was back at work and I had to take the kids to the Health Department to get proof of vaccines for camp/school enrollment. It took 2 hours! I had tried to get everything arranged before we got here and attempted to coordinate with their future pediatrician, but it just didn't happen. First, they said they sent the paperwork, which they insisted they could not e-mail. I never got it. I called and they e-mailed it. I faxed it back to the number on the form. I was told to wait 5-10 days for a response, but it never came. I called and left a message, never got a callback. Called again and finally talked to someone who said the paperwork went to their overarching records department and it needed to come directly to them. So, despite my attempts to be on their rolls before we moved, I failed. I went to their office hoping they would still fill out the vaccine form. We had proof from our Maryland doctor, I just needed a Florida doctor to sign off and put it in the system. They wouldn't do it. I was really mad and was ready to just tell the office to forget it, that they just lost 4 patients with their terrible communication. But, I knew they wouldn't care and their office is super close to our new house and has great reviews, so I bit my tongue, which is very difficult for me. So, that is how we spent an entire morning at the health department, which is exactly where 4 healthy kids need to be! They were so miserable, and said they never want to move again. But, we got it done. Friday, my dad and Maggie came up and saw us. Saturday, Kim, Dave and Amanda visit (JD is at a scouting camp). We enjoyed our visits with everyone and it was a good reminder why we moved.

Which was necessary, because financially, it is costing us a huge premium. Whoever said the cost of living here was lower, knows something we don't. Almost everything is more expensive. Car insurance went up (a lot), our house is more expensive than a comparable Maryland house, homeowner's insurance is higher, toll roads are everywhere, etc. We could have chosen a less expensive neighborhood, but our point in being here is to be close to family, so we really wanted to be south of our work (thus an hour from Winter Haven). To get in a decent school district, this is what it costs. We could have lived 30 minutes up the road and saved on some housing costs (maybe), but adding an hour of travel time seemed like it would limit how often we went to see them and how often they came to see us. It was tough to find a house that had everything we wanted: good schools in a good location for work, family and theme parks. And, unfortunately, the house has been a bit of a lemon. I still love the neighborhood and the layout of the house. But, we have already had to replace the pool pump, pool command center, refrigerator and dishwasher. The overpriced inspection definitely failed us! And, there is more coming.

The second week was our new reality. The kids all went to camp and Thomas and I were at work. Work is just okay. It is a very different atmosphere than Maryland. The attorneys here have been doing this for years and are very experienced, therefore, they just aren't as collaborative. Everyone already knows what they are doing. I feel a lot more on my own. Maybe that will force me to learn quicker. On the positive side, I like working with Thomas. We had lunch together every day and get to see each other even more than we did in Maryland.

Camp went very well for the kids. Jack and Anna are at their future middle school. They have made friends and are enjoying themselves. On Thursday, they went on a field trip to Universal Studios. They had park-to-park passes and...Universal Express!!! I was very jealous. Kara and Luke are at the YMCA camp, also at their future school. They go swimming everyday and have lots of activities. Luke can't do field trips yet (he's in a special kindergarten camp), but he still loves it. Kara's field trip was to a Pirate lunch (normally dinner) show and she loved it. They are all happy with their camps, at least after week 1. Hopefully, the novelty doesn't wear off and next 9 are as successful.

Initial impressions-- I like Florida. I like that everything we need is within a few minutes drive. I like all of the entertainment options. I love having a pool and once we get everything fixed, I am going to love the house. It is great that everyone has their own bedroom and the extra upstairs bathroom will save lots of arguments. I love being close to family and I am excited about all the opportunities the kids will have. I don't love my job, yet, but maybe I will. I really hope everyone is happy here. It feels weighty to have put this on everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment