Tuesday, March 3, 2020

February Fun (ROTR, St. Augustine, Baseball)

February was a nice month for us. The weather was amazing and we spent a lot of time outside. Saturday, we had a family bike ride to Lake Nona. 

Family bike ride.

There's a really good view of planes landing from the lake (this is zoomed in a bit, but they're still really close). We had fun waving.
That afternoon, both of the girls got invited out by friends, Kara to the zoo and Anna finally got to go to Starbucks. Apparently, Starbucks is a big thing in middle school, talked about on a regular basis (at least according to Anna). Anna and I went together and met up with her friend and the friend’s mom. Anna had no idea what to get, and I had no idea how to advise her, so she got what her friend had. She sat at a table with her friend and I sat with her friend’s mom. I enjoyed talking with the mom, we actually had quite a bit in common and I enjoyed the visit. I am finding that all of the friends I am meeting in Florida are through the kids. My closest friend here (which is obviously a subjective term, we only talk while watching the kids play) is a mom of one of Luke’s classmates. The mom that Kara went to the zoo with is another acquaintance, and now I met someone through Anna. It’s kind of funny how that works. But, back to Starbucks. Anna’s opinion was that it is expensive and she doesn’t quite get what the fuss is all about. But, she also said she wants to go back, so who knows?

On Sunday, we finally went to St. Augustine. We have been talking about visiting almost since we moved here. Jack was especially anxious to see the oldest fort in America. It was about a 2-hour drive and we got there around 10:30. We started at the visitor’s center and then headed to the fort, Castillo de San Marcos, which was pretty awesome. It was completed in 1695, after taking 23 years to build. I always enjoy going to older buildings and structures and thinking about the people who designed and created them, without the use of any of our modern technology. The Castillo was no exception. It was made out of crushed shells, which we had never seen before. Apparently, they are almost impenetrable and would be like shooting something into thick foam. The design was amazing and we enjoyed walking around. We also got to see a canon demonstration, which was conducted in Spanish, since the Spanish were the occupants for most of the Castillo’s 325 year history.

In front of the old city gates.

On top of the fort.
More fort pictures.
I didn't get a picture of the outside, so I found this aerial view online.

Luke was super excited to find a painted rock.
After the Fort, we walked around the tourist area. We got lunch and popcorn and ice cream. We thought about doing some of the other touristy things (the Colonial Experience or a trolley tour), but both Thomas and I had headaches and the kids were fine with calling it a day. We figure we are close enough to go back. The only thing I didn’t like was there were a lot of smokers walking around. I wish they had designated smoking areas away from the pedestrian walkway (I’m pretty sure the smoke is what gave me a headache), but it is all outdoors, so I understand why people were walking and smoking. Regardless it was a nice day and I am glad we went.

In other news, Thomas has been to two Spring Training games. The first one was on Saturday, February 15th (Spring Training Opening Day!) and he brought Jack. Then, my dad won tickets to Monday’s game (March 2nd) and invited us. But, it seemed too stressful to cut the game time so close to school dismissal (it is an hour away with no traffic) so we decided Thomas should pull Kara out of school and go. Both days were beautiful weather and everyone said it was fun sitting outside and watching baseball. Thomas and I are hoping to go and see the Nationals versus the Tigers on the 14th. Although, that will be a difficult game for me—I won’t know who to root for! I guess now that we are no longer Marylanders, they aren’t my home team anymore, so I can root for the Tigers without guilt. Hmm, that’s kind of sad for me.

Kara and Grandpa watching Tigers v. Red Sox
And, since I am going (sort of) in reverse order, on February 23rd, we finally rode Rise of the Resistance. It is the newest Disney ride and has a crazy boarding pass system. You have to get to Hollywood Studios before the park’s official opening. Then, you have to scan into the park and be ready for park opening time to quickly grab an electronic “boarding pass,” to get a time for the ride. They only give out a certain number each day. Some are primary and then they have a “back-up group”. If you are in a primary group and don’t get called, they will give you a fastpass for another day. If you are in a back-up group and don’t get called, you are out of luck. So, we arrived around 7:30 and were in the park by 745. Then, we went and stood in a very long line for Toy Story Land. Probably about 50% of the tens of thousands of people were in line for Galaxy’s Edge, 30% for Toy Story and 20% for Tower of Terror and Rockin Rollercoaster. As soon as 8 hit, Thomas and I anxiously began trying to score a boarding pass. He got one on his phone for us—group 56, a primary group (our day 64 was the cutoff). We were lucky we had both our phones, because by the time the “join boarding group” button lit up for me, they were already on back-up groups. The primary groups were gone in literally seconds.

We were so excited!


We planned on riding Slinky Dog, but the wait was already 90 minutes (and remember, the park had just opened!). Fortunately, Toy Story Mania was only 25 minutes, so we did that. We did a few other things and then met up with my friend who was there with her daughter (the friend I mentioned earlier who I met through Luke. He actually met the mom when she came to the school and somehow discovered she lived on the street catty-corner to us, then he described our house and convinced her to knock on our door at 5:30 that night—which she did J). Anyway, Luke rode Star Tours with them, we all did the Muppet Show then had lunch together. While having lunch, our boarding group was called. We were super lucky, some days the ride breaks down and people wait hours and hours. But, we also had a fastpass for Rockin Rollercoaster. I can take or leave that ride, and Luke isn’t tall enough, so Thomas took the other 3 and Luke and I had a more leisurely lunch with our friends. It was Kara’s first time on RnR and she liked it! She has done bigger roller coasters, but is still nervous about new ones.

Luke and Beya waiting for the Muppets 4D

After that, we finally got to ride Rise of the Resistance. It. Was. Amazing. I still cannot believe how amazing it was, we were all in awe. Well, Thomas and I were in awe. I think the kids were impressed, but not as impressed as we were. There are plenty of pictures and spoilers out there, so I won’t give a description. But, I will just say, it wasn’t so much a ride (although, it is a ride) as an experience. I think about how they could build the Castillo de San Marcos without modern technology. This ride is an example of what you can build with modern technology. I don’t know if it will still be as impressive the second or third time when we know exactly what will happen, but I look forward to finding out. Well, maybe finding out. I am not sure if we will be able to ride again before our passes expire—but, I sure hope so!

Waiting in line

My one inside picture. 
That wraps up our fun February, well, plus one March baseball game.

No comments:

Post a Comment