Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Winter Haven Double Date & More Volunteering

I feel like our weeks are pretty humdrum and then we have these amazing, eventful weekends. And, that is precisely what happened last week. Nothing eventful happened Monday-Thursday. Thomas and I went to work. The kids went to school. I have started giving the kids one dedicated hour each week. Monday is Luke; Tuesday, Kara; Wednesday, Jack; and Thursday, Anna. We have done it for a few weeks now. It takes place during the time when people are usually doing electronics or reading, so hopefully it isn’t taking away from other quality time. And, the three who aren’t having their night still have Thomas’ attention (for example, tonight he did homework with Anna). So far, I think it is well-received. For their time this week, Luke and I went outside to play and roller skate (he roller skated, I watched). Kara and I played Mario Kart 8 and then watched LegoMasters. Jack and I played Axis and Allies and Anna and I did at-home manicures. As they are getting older (especially the older 3), I am trying to make sure our connection stays strong. I had my first sad-mom-of-almost-teenagers-moment last week when Jack didn’t want me to go on a school field trip. I don’t know if this time will help, but hopefully it is another way to show my love and interest.

Friday night, there was an event at the elementary school. I took Kara and Luke. It is supposedly their best event of the year, but I did not enjoy it. I am sure people worked really hard, so I don’t want to complain, but I will not go to another school-wide evening event for a while. In fairness, this was the first year with a “new format,” so maybe there are kinks to work out?

Saturday, we went to Winter Haven. We stopped by my dad’s house, had lunch and visited with him and Maggie. Then, we dropped the kids off with Amanda and went to a play with Kim and Dave. The local theater was doing “Kinky Boots.” I have wanted to see it for a while and it did not disappoint! There were a couple of really amazing performers. There was one that both Thomas and I thought was comparable to people we’ve seen on Broadway. He is employed by Disney and performs at Animal Kingdom and as a Voices of Liberty singer. We are definitely going to keep an eye out for him in the parks!

The play was really good and I enjoyed the entire experience. At one point, I was talking to the people sitting next to me and got to mention that my nephew was working the spotlight. I felt really connected, like an actual local, I haven’t felt like a local to anyplace since I left for law school almost 20 years ago. So, that was super fun. Afterward, the four of us went to Red Lobster for dinner. While we were seeing the play and having dinner, the kids were eating pizza and hanging out with Amanda. Everyone had a good time. In fact, we are thinking of buying season tickets so we can repeat the experience on a regular basis.

Sunday, we had to drive to base to pick something up. Then, we drove around and looked at Oviedo. It kind of came down to Oviedo or Lake Nona when we were house hunting. Oviedo has better schools, and is closer to work, but could have been a longer commute depending on where we lived. It was also further from everything else (family, theme parks, baseball). I wanted to revisit the area. It was nice to drive around, but Thomas and I are happy with the decision we made.

Sunday afternoon, the girls and I had our March volunteer date at Give Kids the World. I didn’t want to go, but just like last time, I enjoyed the experience. We were in the cafĂ© area again. But, this time it was an off-meal time. So, there were only a few volunteers scheduled. The girls helped the few families that came in, assisting them in the food line and with getting drinks. They also cleared the tables. While they did that, I spent about 45 minutes in the dish room (Anna also spent some time in the dishroom). The rest of the time, we folded rags. There seemed to be an endless amount. I can’t give a good estimate, maybe 750? We folded for about 90 minutes straight. But, it was laid-back and easy and felt like something that needed to be done, so I was happy to do it.


Anna in the dishroom

Some of the rags in the bottomless cart.

As we were leaving, Kara found this pretty rock. She rehid it on the grounds.


No comments:

Post a Comment