Saturday, December 12, 2020

Luke's Bad Morning, Allergy Tests, and Jaw Surgery Update

On Wednesday, I was walking Luke to school when he turned to me and said, "I wish it was Friday, so that we could start our long break." I told him that the long break was still more than a week away. He stopped walking, looked at me and asked if I was sure. I responded I was and then he said in frustration, "well, did they change it???" He was convinced I told him this was the last week before break and was quite annoyed. Then, he asked me to give him some math problems. I asked him what 70x2 is. He responded 1400, I told him that was 700x2 and that 70x2 was 140. He said, "well, at least I got 700x2 right." Of course, being a realist, I told him that wasn't the right problem, so he did not get the question right. He was further annoyed. Finally, he is grounded from electronics and chose that moment to ask me if the ban was for a calendar week or through the end of the week. I told him that because Dad imposed the punishment, we would have to ask him to clarify. That wasn't the answer he wanted and the trifecta was complete. It was a bad morning.

Anna had her oral surgeon appointment. The doctor said that she needs to get her 4 wisdom teeth removed plus 4 pre-molars. Then, six months after that, to allow time for healing, she could get the surgery. The surgery would involve breaking both the upper and lower jaws to align the teeth. Apparently, they are also slightly off center. After that, she would continue to wear the braces for another 6 months or so. So, it is a long process. The appointment was 1.5 hours, and it was a lot of information. We told Anna she needed to be 100% sure and we needed to talk about it. Thomas thinks we should wait. There is no real urgency and he thinks it is too big of a decision for a 13-year old. I agree with Thomas' concerns, but I am more on team "let's just get it over with." The timing right now is perfect, she could have the teeth removed over Christmas break and then have the surgery over the summer. If we postpone it, she will either be in braces for a very long time, or more likely, we will get the braces removed and then will have to get them put on again. I am fine with waiting, but I do want to ensure we time it so that she isn't missing school. Anna wants to do it. She doesn't like biting into the roof of her mouth and the doctor noted a popping noise that she hadn't previously noticed, but now bugs her. And, she really hates the idea of wearing the braces longer than necessary.

Jack had his peanut allergy test on Thursday. He failed. We had to be at the Children's hospital at 7:40, but it is only 15 minutes from our house (so much better than when we had to drive almost 2 hours to Baltimore!). They divided the peanut butter into 11 increasing doses. The first was so small, he could barely taste it. They were about 15 minutes apart, so it took a long time. We got up to the eighth dose and then he sneezed. Then, his nose began running slightly, his throat felt itchy, and his face turned a bit red. That was the end. The last time, I think he was 7, he had to have Benadryl plus two doses of epinephrine and I was glad it didn't go that far this time. It all started with a sneeze on both occasions. So, he is still allergic to peanuts. Based on his blood tests, there was a 95% chance that he would pass, but based on his history, we figured it was unlikely. Once he was up to the 8th dose though, I started to feel pretty hopeful. So, it was disappointing. He was looking forward to broadening his diet. But, even if he passed, he'd still have the tree nut and shellfish allergies, so no matter what he was looking at a lifetime with Epipens, but a peanut butter cookie on occasion would have been nice.

The nurse was shocked we had actual books to read. She said she hasn't seen anyone with books in a very long time.

The last three peanut samples. And, the emergency kit--Benadryl and epi pens.

Kara had her level 2 dance class and said it went well and wasn't too different from level 1--just more technique focused. Marta was in Orlando on Wednesday, so she came over for a little while. Luke was thrilled, that is the early day for school and it is hard for him to fill his time while Thomas and I are still working. They played board games and he was so excited. Then, she came with me to drop off Kara. I had to take a work call, so she drove and once the call ended, we got dinner at Pollo Tropical. The dining room was closed, so we ate in her car. It was really nice to catch up.

It was a good week. Thomas had an amazing interaction with some sandhill cranes. It sounded insane. Apparently, they were playing with a leaf, tossing it in the air and catching it. Then, they came right up to him! He thought he was getting it on video, but it turns out he didn't. I was so disappointed! 

I got most of our Christmas cards mailed, and even wrote a little newsletter. Maybe I will post it here after Christmas. I don't want to ruin the surprise of receiving it in the mail for my few readers :) We made a treat box for the delivery drivers, and are pretty much done with our Christmas shopping. Friday night, we went to SeaWorld, but didn't stay too long. We got dinner, fed the sea lions. got some treats from the food booths, watched the synchronized lights, and came home to watch The Great Christmas Light Fight.

They are very vocal about wanting fish.

There was a really cute Rudolph area. Luke isn't mad, that was his picture face (masks just came off for the picture, there was no else around)

No comments:

Post a Comment